Acrylic Baths

Hi,

As I mentioned in a previous post, as part of doing my bathroom, I am installing a "traditional" style claw foot bath. As the cast iron variety is completely out of my price range i have been looing around at the acrylic ones that are on the market.

Is there anything I need to be careful of when looking to buy an acrylic bath? I notice that they are all different thicknesses and some are double skinned etc etc.. I woudl assume thicker is better for insulation and strength, especially around weak spots such as plug holes, but is there aminimum thickness that you would say I shouldn't even consider buying?

Thanks

Reply to
Thomarse

They will be brought down in thickness anyway round the plug hole but thicker is better. Insulation irrelevant. 6mm AFAICR was "standard" 8mm a good one.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Thomarse" wrote

Some vendors sell coated baths. This adds thickness after the forming process. The advantage of this (so I was told when I bought mine) is that starting with a thicker material before forming can still result in significantly thinner areas where serious moulding work is performed. The coating on mine is called aquanite (manufacturer Aquabeau) and gives a

25 year guarantee for what it's worth. Other suppliers have similar offerings.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Since you cannot brace a bath that isn't encased without it looking ugly, get the very thickest you can afford.

I have to say that I find the ruddy things and expensive and ugly waste of money, and always build my baths in where I can get some bracing round them.

I suppose my ideal bath would be cast in concrete in situ with heating pipes built in, and would be the bathroom radiator as well. ;-)

Then I'd tile it with sexy tiles. Bit like a swimming pool in fact..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher