AC motor speed control

They are a good lathe but haven't been made for years. I used to have one.

They were taken over. Dunno if they will be made again. Disappeared has Boxford, Colchester, Harrison and a few more thanks to slave labour in places like India and China.

Any "traditional" screwcutting lathe will need either a gearbox or a boxful of gears.

Reply to
harryagain

Given the rubbish you talk it's a reasonable assumption that you thought that.

Most know when they're in a large enough hole to stop digging. You seem to be the exception to that.

I take it you've not done the above - preferring as usual to believe what you 'understand' by a term to be the only one allowed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must be making that up according to Harry :)

Virtually all lathes and milling machines in the sub 1000 quid sector use brushed DC motors in my experience. The Clarke branded one he mentioned at Machine Mart (as noted previously in here, MM are a retailer to be avoided at all costs) is the only 'new' one in that price sector that appears, on the surface, to be equipped with an induction motor.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Traditionally reversing a single phase motor on a lathe requires nothing more than a Dewhurst switch swap the phase relationship of the start winding with reference to the running phase. They have been used for at least 60 years and maybe longer.

New lathes and milling machines at the cheaper end of the market, sourced from China now use DC motors with PWM variable speed control and maybe a couple of belt drive steps. AC Induction motors with variable frequency drives now occupy the middle ground.

Reply to
The Other Mike

No motor but aiming for continuous operation for a very very very very long time

The Other Mike

Economy 7 meter timer, continuously mains run, clockwork backup, changed every

20 years or so.
Reply to
The Other Mike