AA Home Emergency Response insurance

I think this is a case where the 'insurance' element needs to be separated from the 'service' component: If I breakdown the cost of a tow etc is something I can afford to self-insure so I do not need insurance. But, if I breakdown it is convenient to have one number I can phone anytime and get someone out to fix the immediate problem; that is more of a service, than insurance. True, I am paying in advance for something I probably wont use, but that applies to many things from food that passes its sell-by-date to plumbing fittings bought just in case the job dosn't go according to plan.

Reply to
djc

Last pest control call-out I needed was £150 (included three visits )

Reply to
djc

I agree, sort of. I certainly don't go for these houshold/heating system/appliance insurances. If summat breaks I can probably fix it quicker than getting a bod out. If I can't fix it it's replace time and stuff is generally fit's the bathtub curve. If it breaks early it'll be under makers warranty, break late well it's old and done good service...

Now that I find a little curious based on the "I don't insure anything I can afford to replace." premis. OK you can afford to replace one or two single items but the majority of contents after say a small fire? Even if stuff doesn't get burnt/singed or soaked "smoke damage" will get pretty much everywhere.

That's OK if you aren't a couple of hundred miles from home, working and *need* to be somewhere. Being freelance if I don't do the job, I don't get paid... Roadside repair of modern cars must be pretty rare these days so it's recovery and my breakdown cover also provides a hire car, even at 0300 Sunday morning (in theory...). Being 20+ miles with no public transport from the place I would want the car recovered to for repair means that a hire car is pretty much essential.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

for a wasp's nest?

That's all that's (claimed to be) covered here so giving the price for rodent infestation isn't valid

tim

Reply to
tim....

where do you live.

haven't seen that on offer in 25 years around where I live

tim

Reply to
tim....

Avoid them. Insuring you house is sensible as it could be totally destroyed by a fire which would be a very big loss.

The above items would not be nearly so expensive to correct, and the risks can be minimised with a little care and any costs reduced by some DIY effort!

Reply to
Michael Chare