A solution to stop doors slamming/being slammed?

Who's going to teach it?

It gets better, just hang on and fun will return :-)

For us life is almost 100% fun even when the grandchildren come - they're better with us than they are with their own parents. They know that yes means yes and no means no here and whining gets them nowhere.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, but animals also slaughter other animals unnecessarily, and shit and piss everywhere, and destroy habitats. And commit gross acts of corporal violence on each other.

according to Nu Laber, we are supposed to be forced to be above all that.

Our queen cat is now pregnant again, and her last son is now persona non grata and gets a cuff round the head every time he wants to be coddled.

In todays Brave New World that would net the mother a jail sentence, and the cat a free 6 months of counselling to help him put 'closure' on his 'feelings of rejection'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tom Waits quote

"I don't have fun. Actually, I had fun once. In 1962. I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin cough medicine and went in the back of a 1961 powder-blue Lincoln Continental to a James Brown concert with some Mexican friends of mine. I haven't had fun since. It's not a word I like. It's like Volkswagens or bell-bottoms, or patchouli oil or bean sprouts. It rubs me up the wrong way. I might go out and have an educational and entertaining evening, but I don't have fun."

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Perfect description of h*mo sapiens.

Reply to
Bob Martin

But as their Soshulworkah you need to interfere in all of this whether they want you to or not.

Cat politics is an interesting thing. I think we have a lot to learn from them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But did it continue to work once you'd put them back on again? Otherwise we're in "I can prove spiders hear through their knees" territory.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes, but with one important difference. WE are told we should NOT be doing it.

(Worse, our pets mustn't do it either..)

This is so we can exist at a population density about a thousand times greater than Nature intended.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I told my son about the door slamming/removal of doors idea and when ge got in from school today he told me he'd not slammed the door - so it's def struck a chord with him.

Reply to
Mogga

There you are, you see.

When I was about three, I remember telling my grandmother that I hadn't had the sugar cubes in the bowl in her sideboard.

Had I not said anything, she would never have noticed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I guess you've wised up since then. Do you still have a sweet tooth?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Certainly, but she didn't mind all that much.

Definitely not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

When asked who'd slammed the door my brother is reputed to have retorted (at about the age of four) "But I only slammed it gently".

Reply to
Skipweasel

I would imagine that the original poster has lost the will to live by now.

Is there a DIY solution - imagine the wind is causing the door to slam.

Reply to
John

Yes. Ask the family to close the windows. Quietly.

It's important to think of DIY in a wide context and with lateral thought. This is inclusive of anything and any idea that doesn't involve bringing in an outside party. Therefore it's just as valid to discuss how to prevent the door being banged "at source" than to deal with the outcome. In fact it's even better, considering the principle of "give me a fish and I will eat today, teach me to fish and I will eat always".

Fixing the result is really akin to a bodge rather than crafting a proper solution. DIY is not about bodging but doing a job better than a professional.

Given all of that, there have been many more DIY solutions than bodges in answers on this thread.

It was all free as well. A professional would charge a lot of money for such sage counseling.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Didn't know they had internet in the next world :-|

Reply to
John Stumbles

That sounds like a Friday or Saturday night in some of our larger cities!

Reply to
cucumber

Never heard of ethernet?

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you get buried in a willow basket, do you get econet?

Would burial at sea provide decnet?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What shall I have?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought we'd already settled you were up for a set of canopic jars and several kilometers of bandage?

Reply to
Steve Firth