A Chromebook laptop could be a nice Xmas pressie....

My wife bought a refurbished HP laptop for her niece for xmas and tried it out first. Microsoft Windows was a nightmare - took hours to perform relatively simple tasks and get through multiple hedges of security. Then the day after we got a spam call on my house phone from somebody pretending to be from Microsoft. Unbelievable. The laptop also stopped working so it was sent back.

Replaced it with a new Chromebook laptop which was under £200 and works great - easy to use and my wife loves it. Perfect for a younger user and Chromebooks are getting more popular especially for students. I expect Chrome to be a serious contender to Microsoft next year in computer sales.

Reply to
Eusebius

Local council have been giving out Chromebooks like sweeties.

Local Cash Converters have loads of very-almost-new Chromebooks at £149.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Clearly, if you throw all your windows computers in the bin, those spam calls will stop coming.

So, you are comparing a brand new Chromebook with a secondhand laptop that was *faulty*? :)

Reply to
GB

It might help to know model and age. We have a couple of used HP laptops running W10 and have no such performance problems. We also have a Core 2 Duo laptop well over 10 years old which is currently running W8.1 with no major problems and has been upgraded to W10 (to secure future use) then reverted to W8.1.

It does sound as though you didn't get the best specification and also the refurbishment may have left malware on it (unless a major coincidence).

So a refurbished HP (or Dell, or...) could be a good Xmas present.

My concern over a Chromebook would be use away from an internet connection (unless things have moved on).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I was a very early sampler of Chromebooks, for my wife, for just this reason. But neither of us found it easy and we didn't keep it for long. I don't doubt that modern ones are *much* better, and of course they will be fast, and as long as you have decent broadband or even 4G they should be fine for most uses.

As for the wife, I got her an M1 Air last xmas and she's not doing too badly. But I'm lucky, I can afford to.

Large families will obviously be better off with five chromebooks than one Mac.

Reply to
newshound

Maybe! Both I and my wife are longtime Mac users. Neither of us would use anything else for personal use.

But she did take quite a fancy to the Chromebook. It's a Lenovo and nicely made.

Seems opinions are very divided between Windows and a Chromebook.

Reply to
Eusebius

They have a built-in expiry date though, after which Google no longer supports them. Then they are electronic junk.

Reply to
Andrew

If your budget is £200, you can get a reasonable Chromebook or a rather elderly windows laptop. However, the Chromebook won't (in my experience) have a FHD screen at that price. You'll need to spend at least £100 more to get that.

If you just want to browse online or use the chrome apps, a chromebook is fine.

Reply to
GB

Ah! Didn't know that. The model we bought now in Dec 2021 expires June 2026. So 4.5 years to go before expiry.

Chrome has extended the expiry date for some models - maybe this will continue to happen....?

Reply to
Eusebius

My Windows Vista laptop for either £200 or £300 creaked on for about 10 years.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

MS Surfaces are nice bits of kit. Once again they confound me by not playing to their strengths.

See also: Windows Mobile. It pissed all over Android 6 years ago. And Android has only got worse.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Horses for courses. The main issues are that it has little local storage, it uses the cloud, so if you are comfy with everything running in Google lannd and have a very good internet connection then fine. Many people do use them and as an aside they do have a screenreader built in if you are blind.

However, you do need to either use native Chrome apps that either run in the cloud or use cloud storage. The limited local resources are the main drawback. Education like them since they are cheap and all students can be monitored for doing dodgy stuff rather than studying of course. grin. Our council has a lot and it has proved mainly good during the pandemic, as long as the connectivity is good and steady. Many can run Android apps, but not all of course. I believe its based on a Linux core.

I'm personally not sure I'd want all my eggs to be in Googles basket, as when they update their core programs it may cause issues for people who are used to working one way and now have to do it another way. Plus of course since most use the built in cloud apps, if Google mess up and leak your data or want to charge you for software, you are stuffed. I'm still old school and like my data local most of the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes there are a lot of good slightly used Windows laptops. Beware of celeron, not enough ram which cannot be upgraded and mechanical drives, also how good is the battery? The Chromeboks have good battery life. If you want to buy new and are not tied to Windows I was very impressed by the latest small laptops Apple have, considering their cost and their speed I think Intel/Microsoft need to get their fingers out pretty fast. The m1 processor seems to run rings around the Intel ones does not get hot and the battery life is terrific. Can't run windows on it as yet, but Apple are teasing the next models may be able to.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Looked at new chromebooks 4 years ago. almost impossible to out Linux on,all tide to google so bought a cheap toshiba satellite. Nightmare. Now basically dead. so replaced with a refurbished HP laptop from laptops direct. Came without a disk like I asked, so slapped in the SSD and RAM from the toshiba and installed Linux Mint 20 and havent looked back. Brilliant little machine.

I was so pleased than when I needed to upgrade my desktop I bought an HP EliteDesk from the same supplier., Once again massively positive experience.

Both machines in the low £200s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

According to Google, it's really easy to 'install' linux - at least it is now - as follows:

Turn on Linux Linux is off by default. You can turn it on at any time from settings.

On your Chromebook, at the bottom right, select the time. Select Settings and then Advanced and then Developers. Next to ?Linux development environment?, select Turn on. Follow the on-screen instructions. Setup can take 10 minutes or more. A terminal window opens. You have a Debian 10 (Buster) environment. You can run Linux commands, install more tools using the APT package manager and customise your shell.

Reply to
GB

You can also put Chromebook software on a PC.

I tested the 32-bit version, back when it had just been discontinued. The software installed on one machine. I needed to use my Google account for the Internet side of it. (Their versions now are 64-bit.)

But when I attempted to install it on a second machine, it did not work. This means that presumably the driver set is not suited to every possible PC machine. The working machine had an NVidia video card. Real Chromebook machines would be better curated.

Install a blank hard drive in the target PC, before you use the installer. It writes a hell of a large number of partitions onto the disk, for an OS. I don't know why they need so many small partitions. (Everything labeled as a .img here, is a partition on a real disk drive.)

But at least I did get to see what a ChromeBook looks like, without owning one.

CloudReady, means you're running it on x86. The software is available on more than one hardware platform.

*******

That site, also has a version for a Virtual Machine, for people who like that sort of thing. That would mean a lot less work, to view the result. But it's a VMWare, and I don't know what would happen if you unpacked the OVA onto VirtualBox. i've had a fair bit of trouble, when unpacking OVAs onto things where they don't belong. And the instructions say it doesn't work with VirtualBox graphics.

Since it works with a slightly older version of VMWare, you would have to track down the right version to run it on.

*******

A real ChromeBook, has six years of support (bottom page, examples).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

That is not the same as a full blown user friendly X windows distro. And chromebooks are really a bit like android phones. You cant put an SSD in them for example.

You can get a refurbed chromebook for a tad over £100 but you can get a decent HP pavilion for under £200

If you want a n I pad or a smart phone experience then a chromebook is fine. If you want a laptop computer, then frankly it isn't

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are lots of Chromebooks with 128GB SSDs, or bigger. For example:

Of course, by the time all the gubbins are added, they end up much the same price as a windows laptop. :)

Reply to
GB

Or in that case, over twice the price.

Reply to