A 24/7 home server on minimal electricity

HP's website always has been impossible to navigate

and

and finaly something useful:

so use any text VGA screen and a USB keyboard for the OS install,

Reply to
djc

Actually probably habit more than anything, in my case. When at work I was ssh-ing into our routers from time to time. But as these were carrier-class Internet backbone routers with multiple 10Gbps interfaces you can understand we didn't want just any old bozo being able to logon.

See here:

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Huge

Apart from security what I like about ssh is being able to login with pulickey authorisation. I log in and out of remote boxes (some as remote as under my desk) all day long. Putting in one password once a day rather than remember dozens is a big advantage.

Reply to
djc

All mine have the same passwords :-)

Since in reality, only I can reach them.

The joys of a fixed IP address. And firewalls

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh the joys of an ignorant fool who thinks he knows something about security. You are such stuff as hackers dreams are made of.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The HP Microserver on-board graphics works fine at 1600x1200 resolution. It may not be up to gaming standards, but it works perfectly OK and is quick enough for most things.

Also, hot plugging discs works fine for me despite the documentation saying otherwise.

A Zalman ZM-VE200 is useful for installing stuff if you don't have an optical drive installed. (This is a bootable USB exernal 2.5" disc housing which presents a selection of ISOs as if they were real CDs or DVDs on an optical drive. A very neat feature is that it displays the SMART status (good, failing or broken) and drive temperature on its LCD.)

John

Reply to
John Walliker

A discussion on uk.comp.homebuilt has a link to a series of photos of it:

Nick

Thanks for the heads-up Adrian - bought myself one and with all the cashback (HP+Quidco) it represents unbeatable value at =A3130 all-in. I've been very impressed so far - it fits the bill in nearly every respect and seems to be chugging along nicely at less than 20W.

Given the purpose and location for this server I want to keep the noise at a minimum and found the supplied Seagate drive somewhat poor in this regard so I've ordered a Samsung Ecogreen to replace it and will likely relegate the Seagate to backup duties with automatic spindown. I've read of a few people on the net also having replaced the stock 120mm fan with one of the 'ultra-quiet' alternatives to apparently good effect (rewiring the plug to suit the non-standard mobo header) so I might give that a go depending on how things turn out.

Oh, one other thing: the missus has asked if you can keep your good ideas to yourself next time - we're meant to be saving for a wedding! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I've been very impressed so far - it fits the bill in nearly every

Reply to
geoff

£140. Then I expect quidco gets another £10 off => £130.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah - I was forgetting the VAT as its not relevant to me

Reply to
geoff