855KG sand = 1m square ?

when sand is delivered in 855Kg sacks, what is the approx amount of sand in square meters ?

Thanks

Reply to
Andrew Welham

That depends how thinly you spread it. If you meant cubic metres, then I'd suggest about a half.

Reply to
Andy Wade

sorry i meant cubed, was just about to make the correction

Reply to
Andrew Welham

Suggest you visit the supplier & ask to see a full bag ("to see what you are going to get") and apply a tape measure but also check how full it is. Also the supplier should know what the nominal capacity of their bags is.

IIRC delivery bags used by some suppliers around here are 0.6 cubic m but YMMV.

HTH

Reply to
jim

IIRC aggregate and sand is about 2.3 tons per cu m.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use about fifty tonnes of this every month (they sell it as tonnes in builders merchants, but B&Q wanting to play it safe, sell them as 'bulk bags' given that they are short of a tonne) anyhoo, one bag of around 850kg is a cubic metre, that is to say, I lay it at exactly 50mm deep and it covers 20 square metres, or ten if I put it 100mm deep.

Reply to
Phil L

Google reckons sand weighs approximately 2 tonnes per cubic metre.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I know! - and yet in all the bags I use each month, it (almost) always works out at 20m2 @ 50mm thick...between 18 and 22 depending on the ground....moreover, if I order loose tonnes rather than bulk bags, I'm left with surplus

Reply to
Phil L

Probably very dry sand then..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is of course impossible, since it would mean that your sand/aggregate is less dense than water, and would float in water.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Yes - and then again no. In reality you're quite right, but if the grains were /really/ odd shapes that didn't pack at all well, each individual grain might be more dense than water, but the volume filled by them when (very badly) packed could conceivably be less than that of water.

Imagine a load of steel barrels with no tops or bottoms - each one would sink on its own, but wrap 'em in a bag and they'd float.

In fact, such things exist. You can get glass rings, like beads or napkin rings which are used to reduce the effective concentration of radioactive liquids so they can't possibly reach criticality no matter how concentrated they get.

Reply to
Guy King

Sand is less dense than water, given that it's surrounded with gaps, if there were no gaps it would be stone. :-p The bags are 1200 wide and filled about 750 deep, or to be finicky, 120cm by

75 cm...this of course means that you will get fifteen squares that are 50mm deep and 1200 by 1200, each of these fifteen squares covers approx 1.44m2, and there's fifteen of them, this makes 21.6m2, at least it does around here, your sand might be different where you are.
Reply to
Phil L

Not really no, the sand isn't sold by weight, it's sold by volume...if it's lashing it down when they are filling the bags, you get the same amount as during a drought, although the weight will vary considerably.

Reply to
Phil L

Seriously, it isn't - put some in a bag, tie it up, see if it floats. Unless you leave loads of air in the bag, it won't float.

Reply to
Grunff

I know sand doesn't float, that is why the seabed is covered in it....Im not getting into one of those ridiculous pedantry competitions neither, the OP wanted to know how many m2 he'll get from a bulk bag and now he knows.

Reply to
Phil L

Well, no, he doesn't, because an 850kg bag isn't a cubic metre, it's around 0.6 cubic metres. This isn't a pedantic argument, this is simply an argument where you are making incorrect assertions.

Reply to
Grunff

I see. So the fifty or so bags that I use each month are all over sized bags, even though I get them from different suppliers? The bags are around 120cm across and deep, although they are not filled right to the top, they contain one cubic metre of sand, it doesn't say anything about weight, whether tonnes or 885kg on any of them and they are manufactered to hold between 500 and 2000kgs of materials...even the small bags are 900 X 900 X 900, so I think we can let it lie that it's *about* a cubic metre of sand? - without delving further into the realms of pedantry? - the Op has ordered a bulk bag of sand, he has not ordered

855kgs, what he gets may or may not be a tonne or more, but it will be very close to a cubic metre.
Reply to
Phil L

Indeed, I give up. You win. With arguing like that, there is nowhere else to go with the conversation.

First you say: "one bag of around 850kg is a cubic metre"

Then you say: "Sand is less dense than water, given that it's surrounded with gaps, if there were no gaps it would be stone."

Followed by: "I know sand doesn't float, that is why the seabed is covered in it"

And finally: "it doesn't say anything about weight, whether tonnes or 885kg on any of them and they are manufactered to hold between 500 and 2000kgs of materials...even the small bags are 900 X 900 X 900, so I think we can let it lie that it's *about* a cubic metre of sand?"

I can't work out what you're trying to say, so I give up.

Reply to
Grunff

Conversation? - what are you trying to do? - I am telling the OP what coverage he will get out of one of these bags, I use about 10 or so each week, he asked, I told him, you appear to be embroiled in semantics about mass, and whether sand will float or not.

I know I said that, but as I explained lower down, the bags don't contain

850kg, unless you imagine that they sell only half bags of wet sand? - it's sold by volume, not weight.

I inserted a smiley after this, have you had a humour bypass?

Why are you insisting on turning this thread into some ridiculous lesson? - I don't care whether sand floats, sinks or sprouts wings and flys away and I don't suppose anyone else is, what they are interested in is how much sand is in a bulk bag, not the weight of it, because if it's only half full of wet sand, you only get half as much, which is why they fill them up regarldess of water content...two bags of sand could be delivered and while they would both contain the same amount of sand, one would be double the weight of the other

OK, if it's too dificult for you to comprehend, but have a think about this: which weighs more:

1) a cubic metre of dry stone 2) a cubic metre of dry stone, with dry sand poured into all the gaps 3) a cubic metre of of sand and stone which has been outside in a rainstorm for 3 weeks.

They're all a cubic metre BTW.

Reply to
Phil L

What on earth do you do with it?