30 years ago....

This conclusion and the story I snipped correspond with my experiences concerning this magazine. Its errors in reporting research I was connected with were the same kind of errors that happened in the radio and TV reports surrounding the same story.

Reply to
Zhang Dawei

It wasn't that good. :-(

Reply to
Bruce

and this morning, referring to 7.6-2.75 as maths! No, [simple] arithmetic.

Reply to
PeterC

Ah the days when technology was understandable. when one felt that if there was a major catastrophe and only a few survivors we could get things up and running again using general engineering and electrical skills.

Anyone able to make an integrated circuit?

Reply to
John

Yes, I can remember those days. ;-)

Wozzat?

Reply to
Bruce

John wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 16:38

If we were starting from scratch minus 1 (ie it's all broken but one can go scavaging parts and hacking stuff together) we could in principle still do that. We don't need computers to make and run some sort of electricity system or phone systems. We could go back to hacking relays and stuff together. Those components can still be made by hand with basic machine tools.

What would be perhaps less readily available are the people who can use their hands. In the old days (whatever) there were undoubtedly many more people who could smith and others with fabrication skills, who could make amazing things with basic tools and simple lathes.

However, even at my last company (tiny) there was a basic combi lathe/milling machine and a bloke who could use it.. Assuming there are a lot of cases like that lurking around the country, I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

I suspect we could reboot to the 1950's *relatively* quickly.

I suspect the bigger problem might be the fact the remaining population at large are going to rather less useful with anything practical like rearing sheep, clothes making , cooking and stuff like that compared to even 30 years ago.

Heck, you'd have to make getting TV on air after electricity a priority just to broadcast enough EastEnders to keep them from roaming the streets.

Reply to
Tim W

nope, but I can make a coherer and a cats whisker if someone has the cat..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've bought every issue for the last 30 years and only last week noticed the cover price and jeez! it's getting expensive. This coupled with the increasing amounts of 'soft' non-science arty articles and fillers and the time has come to pack it in. (Won't then have to spoil the family's Christmas, grizzling and bitching over being duped into paying for the double price issue :).

Reply to
john

nagh. raid the local barracks, and set the LMG at the end of the street.

It roaming corpses= more food and fuel.

those inside would realise that no one ever came back..

A simple test like 'what is 2+2? might get them a trip to the labour camps instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 17:37

Hmm - Soylent Green

:)

Reply to
Tim W

Yes, but that's Norwich Uni keeping a low profile after those climate change emails got leaked

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

It's good to let one's Inner Nazi out for a bit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Of course.

But you haven't figured the result of a country bent on de-education and indoctrination, that is trying to create a new political elite, to put a new boot on the neck of the new working class.

The danger is less the BNP, who openly admit to being a bunch of fascist bastards. Its New Labour, who secretly despise education, and competence because they have neither.'Browns youth' is the danger.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When the youth grown up they can call themselves Brownshirts.

Reply to
Bruce

I was subscribed to NS when I was at school - they ran a school deal at the time where if there were at least 20 subscriptions, they were

10p each. I carried on with it through university. I had a research job and at the time and thought I would continue in research (until I realised how badly it payed); NS that was the journal which advertised such jobs then.

Between about 1980 and 1985, it seemed to move away from Physics (my area) and more into Biology (not my area), so I dropped at at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Check your speeling lad.. too many "r"s.

Reply to
dennis

:)

Reply to
Clot

Yes, but they'd be new labour camps, wouldn't they? If you can't put two and two together, you just get to be a career politician.

Reply to
Jules

I picked one up in a waiting room the other week - it seemed to be almost entirely glossy pictures and very little in the way of actual science. Like so much else these days, it seemed dumbed down for the masses and relied on dazzling people with pretty graphics to gloss over how little real effort the writers had put into the content.

Maybe that's where these magazines fall down, because they're designed to be time-wasters, not to actually inform and educate.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Surely cabinet status at least for such gross incompetence.

The labour camps exist already 'private sector' is the name they give them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher