240V overhead wiring in street - is it insulated?

err, during the recent hot spell I saw plenty of 11 and 33 KV lines here in Sussex sagging ominously across farmland. Wouldn't want to be on top of a load hay or straw bales going under them.

Reply to
Andrew

BT and farmers have exemption from the EU nanny state rules that stop me from buying, storing or using it.

Reply to
Andrew

Depoends . Her often its one traanformer per house and taht is slung as a part delta across two 11kv phases.

One side of the secondary is then earthed

Hres a fun one for you. 11KV 3ph underground, and 240V oveheads to the houses

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

There has been a rolling programme of installing taller poles to raise the heights of such lines for some years now as it was recognised that what was a safe clearance for a Grey Fergie towing a 1950?s style trailer was no longer adequate now tractors and Combines are the size of a small Bungalow.

Saw some in place the other day. Usual method is to install new poles close to the existing ones with the part closest to the conductors wrapped in polyethylene. Later they come back raise the cables on temporary supports add the new cross arm and insulators and lower the cables back onto them then remove the old pole. In some cases they may do this with the cables live.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I'm not sure you'd get me working on wires that are live at 33 kV, even with parts wrapped in polythene.

And you *certainly* wouldn't get me working on live 400 kV lines, a long way up in the air, having to be delivered to the line in an insulated cage suspended from a helicopter or cherry-picker, with arcing and fizzing as the cage gets close to the lines. Those guys deserve every penny they earn.

Reply to
NY

Once the supply is taken down to 240v (approx) it is distributed as 3 phases AND neutral which comes from the star point on tehntransmoform.

Roadside on-pole local distribution is 3 phases and neutral.

Feed into this house (from an undergound supply) is 2 phases and neutral.

Reply to
charles

Well at the loast 500 yards, yes, its a 4 wire setup.

I was talking about 11kv and up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Having seen the later photos that NY posted recently, its pretty clear this is the LV side. So two of the phases and neutral does actually look pretty likely.

Reply to
John Rumm

As their cherry picker couldn't reach and they had to erect scaffolding to put the sleeving up (to make it safe to erect scaffolding) I don't expect them any time soon.

Reply to
Nightjar