2 technical terms? one roofing , one brickwork

I've given up google imaging as not found an example in any pic. In lead dressing of roofs , the term for where you join two lead sheets, in the vertical or roof-slope plane , making specific cuts in the underlaying sheet and the overlaying sheet so the underlaying sheet holds the lower edge of the overlaying sheet that is otherwise not positively held at the top , just an overlap . By twisting up and over at the cuts, repeated every 6 inches or so along the lower edge, giving a sort of butterfly appearance.

Type of brick that was commonly used for garden walls locally, to make a substantial looking garden wall , but hollow. Dimensions 9x4.5x2 inch, laid cvertically on the 2inch faces

Reply to
N_Cook

No idea.

Queen closers? I expect they're more expensive than full bricks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Double cross welt? According to my ancient copy of Mitchell. building construction. Used for jointing copper rather than lead though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd forgotten the term welt, I sometimes use the term melding for some operations. I'll look into double cross welt. In the meantime as my discription is perhaps a bit mangled. The underlaying could be a 2 inch wide strip that is firmly held somewher up above. Originally protrudes about 2 inch below the upper sheet that has only a simple overlap join on top. Then a sort of cutting and origami operation the 2inch is returned vertically , which could otherwise open out , a slot/s in the upper sheet and shaped cuts in the strap end , mutually lock into one another and anchor the top sheet. Of course the underlaying strap of lead could lengthen over time.

Reply to
N_Cook

Queen closers would still seem to be specific ( 1/4 or 1/3 ? ) closers rather than "slabby" bricks or thick tile sort of dimensions

Reply to
N_Cook

I've only ever seen clips (nailed or welded) used for lap joints like that. But you could browse through the drawings and specs. at

Robin

The nearest lead "butterfly" I've seen is

on
but that is just decorative use of what would otherwise be cut away, not structural "knots" I think, plus 2 simple not very structural, simple bent return strap-hanger hook anchors for 10 of those fringe scallops

Reply to
N_Cook