2 Stroke engine does not start

Heaters were an option in many cars.

Reply to
hugh

I did see one particularly good use for this stuff..

I saw some Iclandic 4 wheel drive,, off road beasties on the telly.... Some of them things have so much power they can drive over water with their big chunkies..

To compete in snow and soft slurry they ran their tires at very low pressures.. A frequent problem was that they often throw the rubber off the rim..

They Iclandics hada quick solve for the problem,, a squirt of ether or lighter gas into the tire and light it...

KERRPOW,!,,,, an boom,, an the tire exploded right back on the rim like magic..

Love to watch that kinda stuff..

untold kid

Still are in a very few. (Caterham 7 and, er, ....?)

Reply to
Huge

They were, although pretty well universal by then. But a truck driver usually has no option about being out in all weathers, unlike most car drivers. Neither does he usually have a say in the options fitted to his truck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

After many years and many two stroke machines the following is my tried and tested method of starting a two stroke.

1/ Pump fuel bulb 5-6 times. 2/ Leave choke OFF and pull the cord 4/5 times (You are NOT trying to start it) 3/ Full choke. Pull till it coughs then switch to 1/2 choke and it should start on the next one or two pulls. 4/ Blip the throttle repeatedly until engine is warm and the turn choke off.

They all have their own personalities. A Stihl chain saw I had had no priming bulb and was the original bastard to start. Carburettor eventually failed and it couldn't be repaired. The Husqvarna replacement starts easier but takes a lot of faffing about blipping the throttle before it will run cleanly

A Flymo with a Honda 4 stroke engine is another pup.

A Bearcat shredder is a bitch to start as it lacks the weight of a blade assemble as on a lawnmower. The blade on a lawnmower acts as a flywheel when starting the engine

The easiest to start is the Kubota tiller. Starts every spring on the first pull of the cord.

If only these two stroke engines had an easy way to inject a spray of EasyStart into the carburettor ;-(

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember untold kid saying something like:

There's a few clips of that on youtube - impressive stuff, but I'd heard of it being done on tractor tyres long since, using an eggcupful of petrol.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

I avoid that s**te like the plague, after seeing the damage it does. Also, I found that the simple application of a hot air gun to the intake works wonders on small petrol and diesel engines.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ferraris?

Reply to
hugh

Not easy when you need the generator to power the hot air gun...

Reply to
The Other Mike

Well my info was direct from the horses mouth from someone who was in a senior position at a major oil refinery in the UK. Maybe things have changed but that was the case in about 1996/97.

Reply to
The Other Mike

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Other Mike saying something like:

Aha. I first came across the hot air method forty years ago, which employed a burning rag held to the intake - mind you, you couldn't easily do that with modern plastic intakes. It certainly started a ShiteOldDieselLandy with a degree of reliability, unlike the so-called 'glow plugs'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Something a bit different to hot air guns, burning rags or glow plugs :)

The Other Mike

I like this method of starting a radial engine:

Jules Richardson