15mm/½" pipe fittings

I need to T off a water pipe which I'm fairly certain is ½". It's covered in crud and lumpy paint and is at the back of a kitchen cabinet, so not easy to work on or measure. It's the original from about 1950 so unlikely to be

15mm.

I'm not to keen on soldering it as it's about the lowest point of the system (difficult to drain) and would be almost imossible to clean. Would a 15mm brass compression T be likely to fit? Push-fit is not on as that also requires a smooth pipe.

Cheers.

Reply to
PeterC

You need a clean smooth pipe for a compression fitting to work too - indeed a solder type is likely to be better with a scratched one. If you use an aggressive flux.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, the solder will fill in the scratches etc., but it's not too good a place to use a torch. If I do solder, it'll be the proper stuff as all of the rest of the house is tin-lead.

Reply to
PeterC

15mm compression Tee

Need to clean pipe well, smear olive with boss whiote and all should be fine.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Seems to be the least difficult/fraught method so I'll give it a go. Fortunately I overhauled the stopcock a couple of years ago, so that works properly and is about 2m from the workplace.

Reply to
PeterC

Whilst the 15mm olive slips over a 1/2" pipe I've had trouble getting the pipe to go fully into the body, I guess it needs reaming by a few thou.

I also find that the 1/2" pipe won't be persuaded into a 15mm m-m fitting

Plastic push fits seem ok but I do like to be able to keep an eye on them.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I also find that the 1/2" pipe won't be persuaded into a 15mm m-m end feed fitting

Reply to
andrew

OK, thanks. I've just realised that I have some old ½" pipe (in case it comes in handy) so I can try out various fittings outside the confines of a dark cupboard :-)

Reply to
PeterC