15mm Compression Joints pull the pipe out a bit before tightening?

I've never really looked at it systematically but I wonder whether some olives are better than others, where 'better' might be 'softer', so more likely to seat in the fitting. I just did a complicated little run that I built up on the bench (fresh pipe, no alignment issues, plenty of access to tighten everything) then installed and it leaked in about half the joints. Took it off and recycled most of the pipe and all of the fittings but, obviously, had to use fresh olives - every joint was a good 'un. If I knew where I got that pack of olives (probably Screwfix), I'd get some more while they're still on the same batch!

On the other hand, it might have been a 'good day/bad day' thing and nothing to do with the olives......

Reply to
GMM

Accoridng to what I've read, and subsequent experience, a 1/4 to half turn at the outside.

I suspect the OP is over-tightening them.

Reply to
Huge

Could be. I always do.

Reply to
Huge

I've seen fittings with damage to the tapers. Dunno how much the BS majors on quality control.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

when cleaning the tube I use steel wool and a rub it 'round and round' rather than 'up and down' so there are no 'channels' scratched into the tube surface. Much as if I was doing a soldered joint. perhaps this is overkill.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Just for information you can get cleaner strips these days that are faster than wire wool - and no sharp bits to pierce the skin. They seem quite expensive - but have a long life. I won't use anything else now. Also makes cleaning the back of a pipe in a tricky place easy.

However neither method should produce scratches deep enough to cause problems - and 'round' the pipe is the natural way to clean it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I also clean the pipe prior to using a compression fitting, don't think its overkill at all.

I use those & find them really good, if the end of the pipe is accessable I use one of these

The Medway Handyman

The message

from GMM contains these words:

Conex ones are particularly good, IMHO