13A / USB socket power drain?

Yeah - that worked well with my wife's Samsung S2. I had to take that to bits and replace the lower board...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think he meant that sod's law says you always start by going the wrong direction.

Reply to
Adrian

Assuming you are delivering a significant amount of power. No current, no volt drop. B-) But I agree it doesn't take much resistance to drop a 5 V supply 0.25 V and out of the USB tolerance.

There will still be (or should be!) the filter components I suspect they make more contribution the idle state current draw than the SMPSU.

Agree, though I can't really see these things being that useful. Especially when you can get wall warts with multiple outputs and some being capable of several amps. eg: the PortaPow Crystal, four outputs just over 4 A available either to a single port or shared.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Much more often it?s the two little prongs on the plug on the end of the cable that fails and is very cheaply and easily replaced.

Reply to
Hanny Z

eh? You guess the orientation and line it up. It's only when it won't fit that you find you have it wrong and have to flip it 180 degrees,

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except I would expect the idle chargers to be taking under 10mW rather than 1W, have you felt one that's not supplying power? None of mine from the last 5 years are at all warm, so it's more like 2MW rather than 200MW.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Imagine a single charger for your laptop, tablet, phone, e-reader.

Shame thunderbolt displays aren't common on PCs, I think you can get a converged USB3/thunderbolt port that can do either, maybe miniDP can be done over USB3 and we can have laptops with only USB and Gigabit ports...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Adrian wrote:*

No you start with it right, except it feels a bit wrong, so you turn it over, then you know it's *really wrong, so you turn it again knowing it's now right you give it more of a shove ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

5.25v to 4.75v is 0.5v drop. 44mV drop per m at 1A for 1mm2 permits 11m of 1mm2, 16m of 1.5mm2 or 27m of 2.5mm2. That's plenty for a room size run - w ith the psu in the middle you get twice that run length. Make it a figure o f 8 ring and you can go further. So distance / design needs to be considere d but is not a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

f 1mm2, 16m of 1.5mm2 or 27m of 2.5mm2. That's plenty for a room size run - with the psu in the middle you get twice that run length. Make it a figure of 8 ring and you can go further. So distance / design needs to be conside red but is not a problem.

Use 2.5mm2 with CPC connected to neutral wire and you can run a total of 14

0m length circuit in a figure of 8 ring configuration with the PSU halfway along. Limited, everything is, but its more than enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

...more than once...

Reply to
Adam Funk

That?s 360, not 270.

Reply to
Hanny Z

tolerance.

A piddly little 5 W. I have a Raspberry Pi and USB HD that pulls about the best part of 3 A on start up and sits at about 0.75 A. That's just one device. I plug my phone into this distribution to charge that'll pull another amp, tablet 2 A... Oh look we are at nearly 4 A without really trying, this household still has two more phones that could be plugged in...

This is with fairly old kit not more recent stuff that'll charge at 3 A given the chance. IMHO any 5 V distribution needs to handle 10 A or more without the volts dropping out of spec at any outlet. So that impressive sounding 27 m of 2.5 mm^2 @ 1 A, suddenly becomes 2.7 m @

10 A.

You also assumed that the PSU output voltage was 5.25 V, (the upper limit) and that it was perfectly regulated and didn't drop under load.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That just shows that the heat loss input can be dissipated without much rise in temperature. I bet if you looked at 'em with a thermal image camera they would be "warm". I think 10 mW is rather too low but 1 W high, 100 mW? and thus 20 MW of grid "wasted".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Type "B" have 4 possible ways when you're doung it by feel alone.

Oh, and a type "A" fits rather convincingly into a RJ45 socket but DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Graham.

Only if you keep rotating it in the same direction. Like SWMBO and curly telephone handset cables that resemble the structure of DNA.

Reply to
Graham.

I bet you are so glad *cordless* housephones are the norm!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe you missed the 2nd post. With a figure of 8 ring topology using 2.5mm^2 T&E you get a distribution distance of 140m at 1A, or 14m at 10A from one single psu. Should be enough for most living rooms.

The 5.25v regulated psu was a design choice not an assumption.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

14m is for one psu & 2.5mm^2 T&E, if that's not enough with 2 psus you get 28m at 10A.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nope, overlooked something! With 2 psus you can get 3x the total length, ie 42m at 10A.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr