10 meter power cable with broken earth strand.

+1 Strangely it was nearly always the neutral on my Metabos
Reply to
Jim White

My next door neighbour's Dyson broke the cable (where it enters the body) twice. I repaired it both times. The repair lasted as long as the original

- give or take.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

This is a trip to Ms Whiplash. I claim my £5

Reply to
Andrew

This was not a problem when the iron was plugged into a bayonet light fitting because the (short) cable, plus the light flex just gently swung back and forth :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Would some heat-shrink sleeving over the vulnerable section provide some extra mechanical protection ?

Or even a short length of rubber petrol pipe that fits reasonably snuggly over the cable at the point where it enters the power tool??

Reply to
Andrew

He asked a question; I gave him a tested solution.

Note the absence of opinions.

I clearly don't fit in!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

No -- the strain relief needs to be mechanically held by the case of the tool, else it's just a lever to bend the flex more efficiently. And just wedging it in the case doesn't give enough grip. (Using a bicycle patch kit's rubber solution to stick broken strain relief together again doesn't last a week, more like a day...) I fixed the tools tradesmen used, and they would wrap the flex around the tool and toss the tool in a bucket. Or drop the tool off a ladder, grab it by the cable, pull the cable hard when it got hooked up on something etc etc.

I searched for "rubber strain relief" and bought an assortment of likely sizes.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Usually not, its not a stuff as the outer of the flex.

That's what those rubber things where the cable goes into the device do but usually that just sees the break where that ends instead.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When it's pretty obvious that some part of a cable is likely to fail because of flexing, I've used self-amalgamating tape to beef things up.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

As I said, I've repaired lots of personal mic leads on radio mics. They mostly break where they enter the connector. Use any form of reinforcement, and the next break moves to the end of that. And with many, the entire cable can't be replaced. So the mic has a longer life with the break closest to the connector - before the cable becomes too short after several repairs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That is a rather different situation tho, much thinner an more flexible cable.

And with

Reply to
Jacob Jones