Traditional Cobbler's hammer...?

I would like to know more about the use of the traditionally shaped Cobbler's hammer. They typically have a round head, and a drooped, flat area opposed to the round face.
What is the function of that flat "hooked" part of the hammer?
Thanks for any information on this,

If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file
Upload is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.