Well Pump GPM which is correct?

I need to install a new submersible well pump. My well delivers about 3 gpm but pump is about 60 feet below water level. My 35 gal. bladder type tank has a 12 gal. drawdown set for 20/40 lbs. Should I pay more for a 5gpm pump instead of buying a standard10 gpm pump? I have an electronic sensor to turn off the pump if it sucks air. Thanks for you insite to this question. Regards, Henry

Reply to
Henry Bergdolt

"Henry Bergdolt" wrote

That is not how you size a pump. You calculate the total dynamic head at the pressure you want to use and then select the hp to do the job. Start yer lernin' here:

A 6" well has 1.47 gal per foot of water. Your 10 gpm pump moves what water it can based on the head and the water level in the well and then your 3-5 gpm recovery is added to the well (per minute), so you really have to use a lot of water to have a problem. The gpm rating of a pump is all about the TDH. A 1/2 hp 10 gpm is probably what you had and will work just fine as long as you aren't at a couple 1000' or more above sea level.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Reply to
Henry Bergdolt

TDH = Total Dynamic Head a.k.a. the height from the water level to the point of use, plus the required pressure expressed in feet of head (I think - back me up here gary)

Dean

Reply to
Lori & Dean Wigmore

"Lori & Dean Wigmore" wrote