Water heater connections

Hi,

This question comes up alot but after searching the newsgroups I can't find a definitive answer to the following question:

I need to replace my old water heater with a unit made by Rheem. This Rheem tank has female tappings but no nipple connectors.

I am worried about galvanic corrosion at the water connections. The house has copper plumbing.

Is it best to connect the copper lines to the heater using brass nipples and brass adapters? Would it be better to use galvanized nipples and dielectric unions? I've even read that a male copper adapter straight into the tank is best. Which would you suggest?

Thanks

Reply to
Craig

You can use dielectric unions. Brass nips ARE NOT an acceptable substitution.

Reply to
Blackbeard

If you use dielectric unions, use dielectric nipples with them. Steel and galvanized steel nipples usually rust themselves closed in a few years. Might be just as well to use male x copper adapters.

~C~

Reply to
CES