oil burning steam boiler

I am looking at buying a house with a oil burning steam boiler. We like the house but have concerns about the age of the boiler. It looks original to the house (1957) and wonder what would be the alternative to this type of heat? If replacing the boiler with a natural gas more efficient model would be as effective as everything else or finding a way to make this boiler a water boiler. I am a plumber and am glad to find this group and would be happy for some input as I don't have much dealings with boilers. Their kinda hit and miss here in NC and I had been fortunate not to hit until now.

Reply to
Rich

replying to Rich, Iggy wrote: I can imagine your disappointment. No worries, the piping and radiators are good for a century. The boiler may be perfectly fine for decades as well. Parts are readily available and all new modern parts can go onto any boiler. As long as the boiler isn't leaking and has no hole below the flue pipe inside, it's still good.

If it dies, it's about $5000 to replace and you're all set for, at least,

30-years. The old one's in the 80% efficiency range or right along with most of today's standard boilers. But, high efficiency replacement models will pay you back before they die in a few decades.
Reply to
Iggy