Clothes Washer Shut-Off Valve

I had a single lever, clothes washer shut-off valve, replaced after it began leaking. It was eleven years old. During this period my wife had always turned it on before washing and off after she was finished, approximately

2-3 times per week. The plumber advised me that it was better to always leave this valve on and only turn it off, when out of my residence on extended occasions. He said this would prevent wear and tear on the valve and it would most likely last longer. This makes no sense to me as I always believed it best to turn off the valve, when not in use, to avoid a disastrous leak. I'd appreciate any opinions on this. Thank you.
Reply to
WDS

It's always safer to shut off the washing machine valve, but the more you use it, the sooner it will wear out. While I preach that people should shut it off, I must confess that I don't.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Doing it your way the valve lasted 11 yrs. his way maybe 15 yrs. Why bet the farm on a hose failure while you're out of (and even in) the house?. Just think of what will happen if the hose breaks and you're not around to shut off the water--- and it won't be a leak, it'll be a disaster. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I appreciate the answers I've received and I have to agree with MLD's opinion. The cost of replacing the valve is a lot less than my insurance deductible and without the inconveniences that would be involved if a disaster did occur. Thanks to both of you.

Reply to
WDS

As added note. I didn't replace the whole valve. I bought the same exact model, didn't touch the plumbing (or main housing), just replaced the section that contained the shut-off valves. One screw removed that portion of the valve while the main housing remained as is. Ended up being about a

10 min. job. MLD

approximately

Reply to
MLD