bladder tank relief valve

This morning I heard water running when it shouldn't have been. I went down to the basement and the relief valve on connected to the bladder tank had tripped, and water was flowing out of the valve. My question is, once these valves release, do they have to be replaced? Also, when they go (this one is about 25 years old), do they always go because of excessive pressure (which means I have other problems), or do they sometimes just get tired, and pop? I have to start troubleshooting, so I thought that I could block the outlet from the valve, then see if everything else was still working correctly. Naturally, I will have to make sure that I don't let the pressure get too high, or something will really pop! Does this temporary block sound like a good idea? I just want to make one trip to the hardware store.

Joe from Massachusetts

Reply to
joscurtin

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a pressure switch on that output so that instead of a lot of water flowing out on the floor, I would have just a little water, because the switch would shut down the pump. Is this an option which could have been installed when the system was installed originally?

Joe from Massachusetts

Reply to
joscurtin

Only if they still leak after the pressure drops below the 75 PSI preset opening of the valve.

The first thing is to assume the relief valve is working correctly until proven otherwise.

Naturally, I will have to make sure that I don't let the

Bad idea. The pressure relief valve is likely doing what it's supposed to do.

What is the pressure on the gauge?

If the pressure is over 60 PSI your pressure switch should have shut off the pump.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

always go

working

supposed to do.

I blocked the output of the relief valve (it's not just leaking, it's flowing), and turned the pump on for a minute until the pressure guage read 40 PSI. It didn't stop the pump. It's supposed to stop at 30 PSI. Now I have two things to replace - the pressure switch and the relief valve. Thanks for the help.

Joe from Massachusetts

Reply to
joscurtin

Most pressure switches I see come factory set at 30/50. This means the pressure switch turns the pump OFF at 50 PSI and turns the pump ON at 30 PSI.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

You could also pick up a "wet floor" alarm, which would protect against other "leaks" too.

Doesn't your pump have a pressure switch controlling it? I'd make a WAG that your problem occurred because it got "stuck" and didn't cut off power to the pump. It may not happen again for a while or it may happen in two days. Might be a good idea to replace it anyway, if you can't find any other reason why the pressure rose.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia