Basins' outlets *sealed* onto P-trap ?

Previously the wash-basins here, discharged into the stainless-steel urinals. Importantly the urinals were 'open' ie they discharged into a P trap. Now they are replacing the old urinals with ceramics which have outlets which are air sealed to the old P trap.

My feeling is that such urinals should not be 'sealed' onto a P trap outlet. Clearly there is the back-pressure of the P trap's trap-height to over come. IMO if you had a series of P traps in a sealed circuit, you could potentially have an air lock. I think the P trap 'receiver' must be open to the air.

In one of the installations [opposite my office/cupboard] the outlet from the basin, goes via a shower outlet; and now the basin discharge starts bubbling in the shower floor instead of flowing straight to the lower total outlet. Ie. after the urinals.

Thanks for any opinions.

== Chris Glur.

Reply to
no-top-post