To repot or not to repot, that is the question

I have a phal. It hasn't bloomed for about five or six months. It also hasn't grown any new leaves. I was starting to despair when I noticed it was growing several new roots. The top of the pot looks like a bowl of spaghetti. I was thinking it may need to be repotted but now I see a flower spike is just starting.

It's in a 6" pot. I'm guessing I should leave it alone. Is that the right approach?

Thanks

Reply to
Jane

OK. Can you tell me how to repot? I've repotted many other plants but never an orchid. I assume I can buy special medium at my garden store and also assume I should go to an 8" pot. Do I cover the roots? Do I remove the old medium?

Basically - help!

Reply to
Jane

OK, now that I know I have to repot - or at least remove the plant and look at the roots, I have another question:

I've noticed that all the orchids I've bought, regardless from where, are in plastic pots.

Does that mean I should stick with the plastic? I have to say they all seem to be doing quite well so I'd guess I should continue with what's working, but just wanted to check.

Reply to
Jane

Well - I just did it. It was all roots so I put it in an 8" pot. I hope it does OK since I think I'm becoming an orchid junkie.

Reply to
Jane

I've been suffering the addiction for about 10 years now. I recently bought several new ones at 1/2 price at Home Depot - before they toss them in the garbage. That just kills me......... :*( Rather then keep lowering the price and allowing someone to enjoy them, and allowing the plant to live, they throw them away.

Reply to
Minelli Family

Someone here (Al?) has mentioned the pitfalls of sales. If you do a sale once, entirely too many people will never buy again until the next sale. I suspect a freebie table would work the same.

Reply to
pakrat