Query: Pleione orchid potting up - how-to please?

Pretty l'il pale pink pleione, bought as a single bulb years ago. Flowered two seasons. Since has grown more new bulbs. Currently has five bulbs in a 2" x2" pot of pine needles. No flowers for last few years. No insect traces or troubles.

Queries: Should it be repotted before it gets too crowded (or do they like to be crowded to flower)? Should it be repotted into a shallow dish? Best growing medium - is it really pine needles? Do pine needles have to be a specific species? (If not, source is no problem, just a ten minute walk up to a formal garden with pine needles everywhere)

So glad to be back among friendly experts! Thank in advance

Reply to
Orchidoofus

While I have read that pine needles are good, I have always grown min in equal parts of perlite, farmyard compost & composted bark. The flower every year without fail. Replanted in Dec & Jan, single matur bulbs will flower in Spring without problems. Certainly no need fo crowding.

I wonder if you are protecting them from the cold? I did that when first started, and they won't flower.

Wen

Reply to
Weng