Imidacloprid and bees

Did anyone know the French banned Imidacloprid in '99? When I think of how many chemicals that have been removed from the market or had their label changed to exclude greenhouse use and their recommended replacements included imidacloprid it makes my head spin in a not very good way.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Brennan

When I was working with the Virginia agriculture department to get the certificate of compliance required by the state of Californina to ship plants into their state, one of the requirements was that all openings had to have insect screening and all door entrances had to be double doors (one opening into a smaller area and then a second one opening into the greenhouse) to prevent any flying insects or slugs on speed from scooting on past when people came though doors. In most large agriculture greenhouses this seems to be the norm, at least the normal 'requirement'. So theoretically anyway, I think most of the governing bodies that work with pesticide usage labeling and laws believe there shouldn't be any bees in a greenhouse anyway.

Many chemicals make an odd distinction now between commercial greenhouse use and hobby/home greenhouse use, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me from a human safety point of view, so this is one angle I had not considered when looking at this question; environmental impact on beneficial insects...

This bee thing is so odd. It has been going on for a while and only recently has it started making it into the general public's awareness. No bees and corn for fuel....what are we going to eat? Orchids?

(Speaking as a space alien, I think earth people should run away from the idea of using crop land to make fuel; even if it means no fuel. It's a developmental phase in a planet bound civilization; an idea that on first thought seems brilliant but turns out to be very very bad. Go straight to hydrogen AND improve the conversation factors of your solar cells quickly. QUICKLY! 17% to 24% is prehistoric; it's like a square wheel in terms of usefulness and cost effectiveness.)

Reply to
al