You are short one roof truss, stop or finish building?

Did a small repair today on a home that is to be sold. A home inspection discovered that one section of roof truss is missing. 39 inches is the distance between the second to last and the end roof trusses. The other trusses are on 2 foot centers. Both the roof plywood and the ceiling drywall span 39 inches between supports.

The home had been inspected when it was last sold and the home inspector did not notice the missing truss. Should a home inspector be responsible for something like that even if the inspection was done 3 years ago?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
andy everett

I doubt that would hold up, going after the inspector, that is. Three years is a long time. Whoever would do the going-after would only get back what they spent on the inspection, anyway. Whoever built the d*** thing should have their head examined.

Reply to
roger61611

most of the time the limits of liability is the refunding of the cost of the estimate. I would contact them for missing it just as a matter of priciple as it should have been pretty obvious unless it is difficult to get to that spot?

Wayne

andy everett wrote:

Reply to
wayne

Should a home inspector be responsible

NO !!!

That's an easy fix just nail stringers every 16" between truss and truss roof joist and roof joist, in whatever size the truss and joist are. Don't sweat the details just fix them.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

My neighbor's 5 year old barn ended up with no ground, just 2 wires in metallic conduit, and the builder had gone out of business. She called the electrical inspectors, who revisited, saw their sticker on the load center, and paid $4K for an electrician to rewire it.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

The attic has a 2 by 2 foot access from a closet, easy to get up there. You just have to be careful walking around.

Reply to
andy everett

Why? It's still there isn't it?

Reply to
Goedjn

No. And you can be sure it's in a contract somewhere, they will not be held liable for anything they might have missed.

Reply to
3rd eye