Yard-work :city style

New apartments nearby. Groundskeepers come in and rake a truckload of leaves into the street presumably for city pick up. Next they bring in an equal sized truck load of mulch...distribute it all around the property and plant flowers etc. Shaking my head at city life

Reply to
philo

Couple of neighborhood kids came by today and offered to rake up the leaves. While I admired their initiative when the leaves are all down I take a run with a mulching lawnmower and put all the nutrients back where they came from. I've even been know to steal the neighbor's leaves.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a compost pile in my back yard. Most all of the garden waste ends up in it including sticks and small branches. When the leaves fall the pile will probably get as tall as me, but by the time spring rolls around a majority will be ready for the garden. What doesn't compost down can be used as garden mulch.

Reply to
Muggles

I just grind up the leaves when I mow the lawn. They practically disappear, or maybe they do disappear but my lawn isn't as green as some others because I don't use fertilizer anymore.

But Baltimore County does collect leaves in the fall, if you've put them in plastic bags - more waste. And I think the big "leaf bags" are even thicker than the small bags - more waste.

At least one of my neighbors has a bag on the mower to collect grass and then dumps the grass in the woods next to my house. I have no problem with that or branches or even tree trunks. Only building materials like cement, cinder blocks, 2x4s, etc.

Reply to
micky

I think the same neighbor, a guy about 35 still living with his mother and some other family, rakes up the leaves and puts them in bags to be collected, even though he dumps his cut grass in the woods. I don't get it. I wouldn't mind if he dumped the leaves in the woods.

Reply to
micky

There's sort of a community compost pile in the field behind me. People put their clippings, leaves, and so forth on it but nobody uses the compost so it gets bigger by the year. This pleases the kids playing king of the mountain.

Reply to
rbowman

Dealing with leaves has always seemed useless to me

Reply to
philo

I have a large wooden compost box and have more than I know what to do with. After the owner of the rental property next door had a fence put in...it left about a one foot gap...so now I got to use all the compost up

Reply to
philo

I have one that's about 10' long x 4' wide x 3.5' high. I just turned it and added new leaves and sticks to it and topped it off with some bottom ground level compost. That trickles down into the rest of the pile and promotes faster decomposition.

Reply to
Muggles

That's called organic gold!

Reply to
Muggles

They just blow out of my yard most years.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

...and into mine. Thanks a lot! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And into the yards of those who've raked them:)

Reply to
philo

Ha ha, I doubt that very much.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

One neighbor does that, he rakes his yard often and it makes me wonder why. He moved up here from the city so that explains a lot. However, I don't think my leaves end up in his yard, but my other neighbor's yard probably gets them.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

If I leave them on the grass, they smother the lawn. I push them under the shrubs with my lawn tractor, where they compost naturally. The best soil in my yard is under the darned bushes.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton