X10 questions

I use an A10 system. It will control devices on one side of my bedroom but not the other side, not even when the 240 volt electric oven is on. Is there a under 20 dollar solution to this problem?

Is there an X10 module that can control the speed of a 120 volt fan? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Yes; they have such a thing at X10.

Not that I've noticed. Search their site.

Reply to
Twayne

In my old house, I had similar problems. I did have a passive phase coupler, the one you purchase from X10 suppliers like this one:

with this passive coupler, there were some outlets that were not reachable. I tried one of the X10 coupler/repeaters, but it caused more problems than it fixed. It actually fired off randomly on noise. I returned it and got another one, with the same results. There are other repeater/couplers, however, they can get pretty pricey, so I never went that route.

That all said, I moved into a new house, and bought the same model coupler/repeater and it works well here. Maybe it's because I am in a more rural area, I don't know. This one is like:

I only paid $20 for it, less than a year ago .... must have been some kind of special. Here, it solved all the problems of not being able to reach a particular module in a particular place. The only anomily I've seen seems to be related to the 1132CU not being able to send dim commands. But, dimming is not a big issue for me as almost all of my lights are non dimming CFLs. I can still manually dim using any controller.

Reply to
Art Todesco

For a few hundred, you can solve the problem without understanding it. Buy something like an XTB that amplified the signal and bridges the phases.

But for a $20 solution, you need to understand the problem first. You might require the phase coupler other have mentioned, but if that was the case, your oven test probably would have worked. My guess is you have something that is sucking up most of the x-10 signal. If you plug whatever is doing that into an x-10 filter, the problem will go away. To find the problem device, start unplugging things like TV's, computer power supplies, and even surge suppressors. Some surge suppressors often filter power line noise. However, that what x-10 signals are - noise on the power line. A lot of newer power supplies add their own unintentional noise and then they add circuitry to cut that down. Unfortunately, it often cuts down the x-10 right along with it. Good luck.

Reply to
greenpjs

For small fans Ive used the light module for years with no problem, it probably pulls no more than 150 watts.

Reply to
ransley

Also unplug other X10 receivers... ironically, they can weaken the signal as well...

Reply to
John

Very good point. When I used to do a big-time Halloween setup, it was all under X10 control with lots of modules. Typically, I would have one day where nothing seemed to work right. I'd usually just start unplugging X10 stuff in the house until the outside stuff worked.

Reply to
Art Todesco
[snip]

I used to have a lot of X10 stuff. Now, I use very little (control bedroom lights and thermostat, remote doorbell and phone indicators). It was for that reason.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd