wood siding, can-exel

I am building a new house in eastern canada and am wondering if I should use a wood siding such as spruce or pine. I want the look, grain and texture of stained wood but I am nervous about the maintenance. What about a wood fiber product such as Can-Exel? Thanks for any opinions.

Reply to
habbi

Hi, Can-Exel or similar product is IMO, very good choice. I built a cabin out here in Southern Alberta using it as siding material. Maintenance free and it is doing very well. Already 5 years since we finished the cabin. It is fire resistant too. I dreaded cedar siding on my last house staining it. My house is acrylic stucco now. Compared to cedar, spruce or pine won't last long. Good luck building is always fun. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Habbi:

H > I am building a new house in eastern canada and am wondering if I should us

H > a wood siding such as spruce or pine. I want the look, grain and texture of H > stained wood but I am nervous about the maintenance. What about a wood fibe

H > product such as Can-Exel? Thanks for any opinions.

The stained wood will have to be periodically re-stained, just like a painted house needs to be periodically repainted. My parents' place is stained (very dark brown) and I think they restain every five years or so. The main problem is the brushes wear out.

  • How about never? Is never good for you?
Reply to
barry martin

Hi Tony. How's the ES-135? I've got cedar siding woes right now and I'm thinking of either vinyl siding (some of it ain't so bad - they even have a product that looks like cedar shakes) or a pre-stained wood product like Goodfellow, some of which offer a

15 year warranty >
Reply to
KZ