Wood Flooring

When regular 3/4 T&G hardwood flooring is laid in hallways parallel to the long walls, how is it secured down? There is no room to swing a pneumatic mailer or even a hammer to toe nail in the tongue and I doubt that every piece is face nailed . Do you run it perpendicular to the walls? Is it glued?

Reply to
John F. F.

John,

If I remember correctly I got within two boards of the far wall with the flooring nailer. The second to the last I switched to a pneumatic stapler shooting down through the tongues and the last row I face nailed near the tongue edge where the shoe molding would cover.

Note: I did manage to scuff the wall a couple of times with the hammer for the floor nailer. I was tired. With more care it could have been avoided all together.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

You can get pretty close to the walls and still use the nailer. You swing the hammer nearly straight down and strike a glancing blow to the head, curling you hand in at the last moment. You only have to face nail the last few rows.

Reply to
DT