Won't Quote A Var Speed Furn Blower Due To Ducts: Why ?

Hello:

Having a new Trane forced hot air furnace installed, if I can decide on a contractor.

Received a quote where it said that the "ductwork inhibits the use of a single speed or a variable speed blower," and they would go with the standard blower that comes on the Trane 2-stage units (100K output). Huh ?

This makes no sense to me, as I would have thought that the var speed blower is a direct replacement extra cost option for their regular blower, and that if the ducts would support one, they would supporet the other (that the max cfm would be the same for either) ?

What, am I missing ?

Is it that they just want to keep the sticker-shock of the quote down ? Or,... ?

Would like to understand this a bit better before calling him for an explanation.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Run away!!!!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I think what you are experiencing is a particular contractor that probably has some interest of his own in selling to you a Trane 2 stage unit with the standard blower.

When he was standing in your driveway looking at your house did he say "small", "medium" or "large"?

Perhaps "supersize"? Make sure you get extra fries with that, but I would toss that quote and keep trying.

Reply to
sleepdog