Wireless Doorbell

If an added antenna wire extends the range just enough for the unit to work, that would be OK with me and my neighbor, I think. I just haven't been able to figure out where the antenna is on the doorbell button unit!

Well, at least she's got a constant problem - it doesn't work/not work. It doesn't work at all anymore at the range it used to.

To be most effective as a "Faraday cage" I assume it should be grounded, but I also think the RF output of the router would be seriously attenuated by the pot, grounded or not. With her understandable reluctance to shut down the router, it's going to be hard to "indict" it as the cause. I recommended that she relocate the chime's base unit to be much closer to the doorbell unit than it is now. Right now, we've relocated the doorbell switch to the center of the wooden front door, behind the storm door and it works from there. Still, she would rather have it along the edge of the doorframe but it doesn't work there. She may be better off with the "inside the storm door" mounting arrangement because the last switch got wet and corroded and the tiny microswitch has failed.

I told her I could fix the corroded switch by wiring it to an alarm contact so that if anyone opens the storm door, the unit will fire. She liked that idea. Attaching the doorbell switch to alarm contacts has another benefit. I can locate the "guts" of the doorbell switch inside the house and much closer to the base unit. In fact, I can take a garden variety hard-wired doorbell button and mount it outside and lead the wire inside to one of her spare RF doorbell buttons. I'd do that by unsoldering the bad/corroded tiny pushbutton switch from the circuit board and then soldering wires from the hard-wired doorbell switch outside to the spots on the board where the old switch was soldered. That would mean that the RF transmitter was now inside the house, protected from the weather and closer to the base unit.

All in all, it's probably going to be cheaper and easier just to get a better/different unit.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
[snip]

There should be a way to just turn off the wireless AP. With some, you just press a button on the front. There's no need to turn off the router itself.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I had one of these units. Made in China POS construction. Will work for maximum of two years and then the electronics are kaput in my estimation. Chuck it and replace or put in a wired unit.

Reply to
Roy

Thanks for that info. Sadly, I learned a long time ago if I touch it, I will be blamed for anything that goes wrong with it or anything connected to it in the future. Forever. (-: It's the Good Samaritan law, paragraph two.

My advice was to move the chime to a place equidistant between the two bell buttons. If that's not acceptable, I think it's time to buy a new unit. This isn't the first wireless doorbell I've seen that just grew deaf over time. You just don't get a lot of milliwatts of RF out of a 12V stack of button cells.

So I'm sticking with it with that advice. The doorbell's built with surface-mount components, which I am notorious for converting into "lifted trace" circuit boards so I've bowed out of this project. I might still wire up a magnetic switch to the storm door to ring a small chime for her when someone opens up the front storm door but that's probably best to be a whole separate circuit with a different sounding chime from the doorbell.

Lots of times the UPS guy will put a package between the two doors and just rap his knuckles on the door so a door switch and chime on the storm door reduces the chances of someone "disappearing" the package before you know it's there. We had a "crew" of junior mobsters here that was following the morning Fedex truck and undelivering packages as soon as Fedex dropped them off but they got caught rather quickly.

We also had a different crew that would arrange for drug deliveries to the houses of people they didn't know (but that they knew weren't going to be home) and then pick those up after making sure the cops weren't "onto" them. A local township mayor had his two dogs killed by a drug swat team when his house was used as a drop point.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I wired up one on the mailbox opening for my father. I removed it when I was remodeling. I occasionally would hear the chime at odd times. I took the removed remote and looked outside while I pressed it. Neighbor across the street, two houses up comes out. I gave that neighbor some stuff before moving. Talking to them, I explained the situation. They said, for a long time, they would hear the chime and look outside. The mailman would always be driving up the street!!!

Greg

Reply to
gregz