Windows 8.1 email setup

I don't think so ... but I'll be setting up a program for them . These people are in their 90's and aren't interested in anything but being able to access their email on the new comp . I want to keep it as simple as posssible for them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I knew this , they don't -

I've used IMAP a little , prefer POP3 .

I'm doing the same thing with POP3 .

I don't think it's so much MS as it is the "powers that be" . It's a lot harder to monitor a sheeple who keeps all his correspondence on his home computer . If this sounds like I fear my government it's because ... I fear my government .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My wife is like this and just accesses her email through our isp and that means any computer. Just set their home page on their browser to their isp's email account.

I have Win 8.1 and prefer to use Thunderbird for email. Easy to set up free program and download messages to computer where filing is better.

I also have my home page set to isp which will tell me if there is email and I also go there to make sure spam filter did not filter out something I want to see.

Reply to
Frank

| Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer | including any POP3 clients with Windows.

Not so much POP3 as "non-cloud computing". Windows 8 tries to trick people into thinking they need a Microsoft ID in order to use their computer. As I understand it, that process also sets them up with an outlook.com email address. The idea is to keep people contained in Microsoft's version of AOL. It's all aimed at converting computer users to service users who won't mind that they can't control their computer, own their software, or possess their data.

Government spooks, of course, are very happy with that arrangement. It's creating an Orwellian expectation that anyone who wants privacy must be hiding something nefarious. Eric Schmidt of Google, despite being known as a private person, has been arrogant and/or naive enough to declare as much. There's a very creepy clip of it here:

What's really driving it for tech companies, though, is just money. For years they were able to keep coming out with new software and charge more for it. These days most common software doesn't need to be paid for. There are free alternatives. And the market has matured. Products like MS Office and Adobe Photoshop haven't really changed all that much since the 90s. Meanwhile, those companies saw Steve Jobs creating locked down devices, getting a 30% cut of software sales, and making billions selling music through an online store. And they saw Google become a mega-corporation by switching their core product from search to spying, in order to increase ad profit.

Microsoft wants a piece of that action. They've actually been trying to get it ever since '98 when they came out with Active Desktop, trying to convince people to subscribe to "channels", which were intended to be constant ad feeds from the likes of Disney that would be mounted on the Desktop as embedded webpages. (Remember the brief fad involving "thin clients" around

2000? Ever since PCs arrived there have been people scheming to "rent you the car that you bought".) Fortunately, Microsoft has so far failed to make compelling spyware like Google. And they've mostly failed to get people to buy restricted functionality, like Apple's. Windows users are used to controlling the hardware and software, so they've had to be herded very slowly toward the services model. Thus the popular dislike of the Metro giant button interface. People weren't ready to trade their computer for a bunch of online ad/service hybrids.
Reply to
Mayayana

HI, Download Seamonkey. It has news group, email server. Add-on adblocker. Also it is browser. It is same as Firefox, Thunderbird combined.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My ISP is WOW cable and I had to change the eM Client settings from IMAP to Pop3 to get their e-mails. Thats the only change I needed.

Reply to
RedAlt5
[snip]

Some of these services insert their spam into every email you receive. I won't accept that.

BTW, my email is with my web hosting company. They provide POP3, IMAP, and webmail all from the same mailbox. On my computer, I use Thunderbird.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Good plan...Thunderbird should be no problem for the aged ones. I know because all of the sudden I am an old man. Don't know how that happened but it must have crept up on me. Now I'm looking for that "fountain of youth" that Ponce de Leon failed to find. =====

Reply to
Roy

About 8 years ago I went from Eudora to Thunderbird as Eudora was unsupported and could not be fully adapted to Vista. Six years later when my Vista machine bit the dust and I got a Win 8.1 machine, I found TB much easier to install. I had also put TB on my wife's Win 7 laptop when using to bridge the gap between machines. Mozilla products constantly update and do not try to wring cash out of you like Microsoft.

Reply to
Frank

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I di d was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a mi racle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mail program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It 's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't find the page with the instructions but it can be done.

Reply to
Dottie

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1.

If you really hate it you can buy a copy of Win7 for about $100+_

If you have Win8 Pro I think you also have "downgrade rights".

Reply to
Mayayana

is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mai l program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't fi nd the page with the instructions but it can be done.

Dottie this freeware program/shell can help 8.1 work more like Windows 7. h ttp://classicshell.net/

Reply to
bob_villa

I have heard about Classic Shell and I may end up downloading it. I know Windows 10 is due out this summer - and I sure hope it is an improvement over what I have now. Thanks for helping.

Reply to
Dottie