window wrap material choice

I'm having 33 windows replaced along with new hardi-plank siding. The contractor was using a pretty light weight tape around the windows (Dupont Tyvar?). Its very thin and only 2 inches wide. I had specified with the salesman that they use the heavy "window wrap" tape and I made them go back and re-do it all.

My question is what is this lightweight tape supposed to be used for? Its the same brand as the vapor barrier they are putting under all the hardi-plank.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Sorry, the material is Dupont "Tyvek" tape.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Dupont "Tyvek" tape is used to seal the seams of the housewrap. It is not meant for sealing windows.

A better product would be the 4" protectowrap or similar product. This is applied after the windows are set in place and if installed properly protects the sub-strate from the few drops of water that might cause damage over a long period of time.

I think you did right to question this install.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt