window gasket?

Hi All,

Whenever we have a wind, okay, dirt storm out here, dirt gets all over one of my curtains. Upon examining the outside of the windows, I am finding that it is the only window on my house that does not have a thin black seal of some type between the glass and the window frame.

What is this gasket called?

Is this something I can replace myself? If so, do I need any particular tools? Where would I typically purchase this kind of gasket?

Or, do I need to have a glass house do it for me?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi, Seal? Spline?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have changed a screen on a screen door before. They called the seal a "Spline". It is about five times the size as the thin black strip on my window frame.

I was wondering if my windows seal was a do-it-yourself job or did I have to have a professional do it.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi, I think you have to disassemble the window frame. Is it single pane window? Where I live we have sealed double or triple pane windows due to COLD weather. Best place to check is glass shop or RV shop.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Is it made out of plastic and looks something like this

?

Either rounded, flat or square and about 1/2" wide?

Reply to
Ron

Use foam in a can

Reply to
ransley

I haven't tinkered with any fancy vinyl coated stuff. If wood or aluminum, I would put in some caulk. For alum. frame, clear silicone. For wood, paintable caulk. Simple job.

Reply to
norminn

?

I have purchased the same sort of fitting at hardware store, which was a local small chain. A window shop should have them. Easy to snap into place.

Reply to
norminn

Yes, but he needs to be a LOT more clear on what type of window it is.

Those are for looks only. (and to apply slight pressure while the glue dries)

If that is the type of window that he has the glue between the glass and the frame has gone bad.

Reply to
Ron

Yeah right dumbass. Thats going to look really nice on his window ransley. Maybe he should just get a roll of duct tape, some glue and chewing gum. You really are a clueless dolt. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

?

No. The part that shows is black and about 1/32" wide. It like rubberized plastic.

Reply to
Todd

Todd, I have ZERO experience with this but . . . maybe what you're talking about is what's called a "glazing gasket". For an example only, check out the following to see if any of the gaskets described look like a possibility:

As for whether it's a DIY or a job for a pro . . . ????

Reply to
Erma1ina

I do believe you call it. Apparently, the window was a modification of a previous window. It looks like the original owner cheeped out when he added a sliding window below it.

It is an aluminum framed window by the way. I can not tell if it is single or double. But since he completely left off the "glazing gasket", my bet it is a single. (The previous owner was a contractor.)

I do believe I will fire up my caulk gun with a tube of silicone and make short work of this.

Thanks to everyone for all the tip.

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

If it is similar to the sliding window, then yes, you are missing the gasket that goes around the glass. The gasket goes on the glass and then the four sides are attached and screwed together. Just like a aluminum sliding patio door, or a shower door.

Put some small pieces of cardboard between the outer part of the frame and the glass to hold the glass against the inside part of the frame and then use silicone to fill in the small gap.

Reply to
Ron

Cool tip. Thank you!

-T