Window advise on new house

I'm building a new house. My architect is awesome but admits he doesn't know which brand of window is best suited for this house. He's a NY architect used to huge night clubs (he designed Scores...), apartment buildings...and this house is going to be on the cliffs of California overlooking the ocean.

The weather is usually pretty mild year round but when storms come in off the ocean the whole world starts to rock and roll. The two biggest weather concerns are the continuous exposure to salt from the ocean spray and storms which bring big winds with horizontal (and sometimes upwardly vertical rains). Everything that can does rust. It is very common for houses which aren't sealed properly to rot out from the inside if they're made from stucco.

My current house has wood windows which are actually surviving at 12 years old. I believe vinyl will be the better way to go. But how about brands? Millguard vs Anderson vs Jeld-Wen vs ???. Any information, opinion, good and bad experiences... would be appreciated. I have called many window shops and stores locally as well as Home Depot but they all boast about their brands and I'm sure there's got to be a difference.

Thanks for any help.

VETMANSHU

Reply to
VETMANSHU

There is alot to windows theses days that sales man wont tell you so you have alot of research to do. Consumer Reports has an old article and test that goes over the basics. Some ratings you need to know are Cdf, Vlt, R & U value, Shg, air infiltration etc etc. Your architect should should get on top of it or direct you to articles as he has access. For salt water and high wind look into fiberglass or composite frames, Glass is not made equal as salesman state, Andersons process of treating is unique, Hurd has options for regions. Get good glass from a top company. I bought a 5x8 tripane that is foggy new- not water, and they didnt even pick good glass , some has bubbles in it. 90% of US glass is made by one company I believe it is Cardinal in Wisconsin. Lastly any warranty is void even on day one with inproper install, such as being out of Plumb , Level or Square by more than their allowable limit which is usualy 1/8". I know I found my window installer [brian the Hack] voided my warranty by bad installs, luckily I caught the mistake in progress.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is to inform home owners interested in purchasing replacement home windows about one couple's experience with a Northern Virginia firm, CONSUMER CONSTRUCTION, INC.

In June 1999, Consumer Construction, Inc., Woodbridge, VA 22191,

703-491-0745,
furnished and installed 13 ea. replacement vinyl windows, Carefree brand, with Low E glass and argon gas. Cost: $4,200.

Initially my wife Robin and I were generally pleased with the product, however one double-hung unit toally filmed over within three years on the inner (sealed) surfaces. Those surfaces cannot be cleaned.

We left several phone messages with Consumer Construction, Inc. (hereinafter called the "company') but received no response. In June

2004, we sent the company an e-mail mesage via its e-mail response line. A male from the company phoned and agreed to inspect the window, but never showed up.

We subsequently contacted the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Greater Washington, D.C. (202-393-8000,

which made contact with the company. A company representative came to our house in May 2005, and found that nine (9) windows had some degree of filming due he said to "inner moisture."

The company agreed to contact the manufacturer to obtain an on-site inspection, but a few weeks later, it was determined by the company that the manufacturer of Carefree brand windows had gone bankrupt and out of business. The company subsequently told us that it, therefore, would not replace at no cost any of the filmed windows, since the manufacturer was no longer in business. "I am at a dead end," we were told by the company manager, Mr. Mitchell.

We went back to the BBB with this information; the BBB agreed to try to arrange for arbitration of our case, but were met with silence on the matter. The case remains in an unresolved category.

To summarize my wife's and my position, we believe that, at a minimum, Consumer Construction, Inc. should be willing to replace at no cost the two windows that are completely filmed over, especially since the company's own inspector remarked, "You don't need blinds for these [filmed windows]."

Consumer Construction's position is unacceptable to us, as customers, and we believe it fails to meet standards of responsible business practice as well. Consumer Construction SOLD us windows that failed; THEY bear primary responsibility for resolving this case to our satisfaction. The company's position is like a food market telling a customer to go to the farmer who raised the steer from which a spoiled cut of meat was originally obtained!

(It would be interesting to know how many of the company's other customers have incurred problems such as ours.)

Ken Spalding Dale City, VA

Reply to
kenneigh

ask some of the neighbors in the location you're building in. you can find out info from the local city hall on who was the builder, and call them to ask. call local builders in that area. try to find contractors from that area who have put them in and ask what is most prevalent.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Looking at just brand name and reputation only my choices seem most easily limited to Millguard, Anderson and Jeld-Wen (from Home depot).

I tried to find the consumer reports article but couldn't dig it up online. Can you think of another source to read more about windows.

I appreciate your comments and help. I'd hate to put in crappy windows. Dave

Reply to
VETMANSHU

If you have an architect mostly experienced in designing nightclubs and apartment buildings in NY designing an oceanfront house on the cliffs in California, I think you may have bigger issues than windows.

Reply to
trader4

I bought my current house three years ago, and had to immediately go through lead abatement, which involved replacing all the old wooden double-hungs. I researched it (including that Consumer Reports article), and settled on Certain-Teed. The abatement contractor was a little surprised that I insisted on a specific window brand, but he agreed. He later thanked me - the Certain-Teed were better quality than the generic brand he usually used, and the cost was about the same.

They're excellent windows; no problems in three years.

- Dennis Brothers

Reply to
Dennis Brothers