Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

That's right. There probably is a hole in the water pan already at the outside end of the AC. And there is probably a provision for attaching a small hose, to route the drip where the owner wants it. If no hole, one could drill one there, but only if it's tipped like you say.

Reply to
micky

I think you're tipped...

Reply to
trader_4

Right, but pitching the AC properly will stop the drips. You don't need a lot of pitch.

NEVER drill a hole. I've seen many an AC turned to junk in seconds that way. People think they know better but end up poking a hole in the coil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some of the high efficiency units hold water in the pan and splash it up on the condenser coil to aid cooling. You just need to be sure it is tilted down so the water gets to the outboard end.

Reply to
gfretwell

Drain holes, and mounting screws can be instant death to AC units.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know someone that destroyed two in two days. Yeah, I can do this, just watch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're right. Thanks for the correction. It's been a long while since I've dealt with a room AC. (Actually I knew only one -- I'd park almost underneath the AC -- but my friend quit her job there.)

Right, Just like the instructions said, but people don't always read or remember that stuff.

Reply to
micky

Hold my beer moment?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:] My issue is with the annoying noise made by the fan slinging water all night. I can't sleep with all that nonsense going on. I drilled a hole and the problem went away. Who cares about a little less efficiency or some nominal shortening of the unit's life?? I'd rather sleep. If you flip over the unit you will see a depression under the fan housing where the water is intended to accumulate. That is where you want to drill. The only thing you can hit is the plastic fan blade. It should just bump out of the way. No risk.

Reply to
otis

replying to jeff, Jim C wrote: Had the same problem with a 12 k BTU LG unit. The same water it holds and slings eventually turns to sludge. Mine was loud and would blow water drops through the vent that blows the cold air.. The only fix I found was to remove it and take it outside and clean all the sludge. The fans have sealed boxes that hold it also and have to be wiped out until its gone. I had to keep blasting it out with a garden hose and pushing a cloth inside small openings in the fan boxes to remove it all or it will do the same thing in no time. Regret ever buying it now.

Reply to
Jim C

replying to TURTLE, monkey wrote: "If all possible, try to live with the water in it every year and deal with."

What about the problem of the bottom of the coil "rusting out"? I've had a relatively brand new unit (2 yrs old) fail because of the bottom inch or so of the rear coils oxidizing to the point of it freon leaking. Both the copper pipe and the aluminum fins disintegrated into white and green paste!

Reply to
monkey

The drip pan is usually about 1/2" deep. You have bigger problems than water in the pan to get that much oxidation. I've never seen one go as you describe.

Many a new AC was made into scrap by people drilling holes in the bottom. 13 years later, the advice not to drill still holds.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to HeatMan, sirstv wrote: Ok I have this type of unit and it?s pitched back but when I have it on energy saver I throws a lot of water out where the air blows out and also runs down the front where the filter is. I?ve put two large towels down on the carpet but why should I need to do this? As usual the freakin power outlet is directly below it. It has no drain holes on the bottom or the side and this is Colorado where we don?t get high humidty. Heck we?re in a fire danger since winter. If I turn it on and just let it run 24-7 it?s better but I guess so much for the energy saver part so I don?t have to keep it on that much. Why Is it the fan is forcing up water through the styrofoam airflow area and why so much?

Reply to
sirstv

replying to sirstv, Bobby wrote: You could have accumulated dirt in the pan that does not let the water run to the back. Many an AC has been killed by drilling holes and hitting the coil. Pitch it bakc more yoo.

Reply to
Bobby

They splash that water up on the condenser coil to "save" that energy. It cools more efficiently.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to Mark, James Riley wrote: I'm in Colorado in a desert environment. A guest just complained about a smell coming from the AC. I cleaned the filter. No joy. I found water in the pan. Drilled two holes, one on either side of the coils in the bottom of the pan. Water drained immediately. Put disinfectant/deodorizer in the pan and all around. Smell stopped. Now, is my unit going to quit working or burn up? Don't care about a higher electric bill as long as it doesn't smell and it blows cold air. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Reply to
James Riley

Have the sloshing designed modern window window air conditioners. Live in Alabama. They are about 3 Dr from a permanent storage building behind the house. I became weary because of the noise of the sloshing, because I work in a high noise environment.Also disappointed with water slinging all over the deck which attracts roaches.After much study, I planned to drill a hole (or holes, if need be) to allow the unit to just drain condensate water into a bucket. After all, I thought, I only paid less than $150 for it, so why not try to solve the problem. I called an AC friend, he said don't do it. Same reasons as others have given on these posts(increases head pressure, is designed with the splash ring in the fan, etc) but after reading the experience of someone else, whose success was encouraging I decided to try. The first try, I was angry when I came home from work (remember the noisy work environment, and my wife had that noisy and sloppy window AC running. I went out to the truck, grabbed a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill bit. Next I drilled a hole and struck the splash trim ring on the fan. That required me to remove the AC from the window, place it on a bench. Had to remove the cabinet, the fan blade, purchase a new fan blade, trim the splash ring off, drill a hole through the bottom in the correct and lowest place, then reassemble, and placed in window. Walla! Success! I did this to an additional ac for another window. The units work great have been doing this for 9 years. Finally gave one away when I could afford a mini split. Additionally, the window units require disassembly to remove mildew that forms on the Styrofoam insulation. The cost of the same window AC today is about $229 .(Lowe's) My little window AC needs cleaning again, I suppose the same as a three year old unit left intact, I would guess.

Reply to
miketrettel@gmail.com

You were lucky. Many of the dummies drill through the base and into the coil. Then it is trash.

Draining the water can also diminish capacity as it acts as evaporative cooling on the coil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski