Will decomposed granite hold up to wheeled garbage can traffic?

I grew up with the steel cans in Queens, NYC. It seemed that the newer they were, the harder the sanitation workers banged them on the back of the truck when emptying them.

They also never put the lids back on or even used the smallest amount of effort to stand them upright after they were empty. On trash day, the cans and lids were strewn all over the sidewalk for the entire block. On windy days they would roll out into the street or down into the driveways towards the garages that were under our houses. Sometimes you were lucky and your can ended up in your driveway, but most often you had to go searching for it.

I now have a large rolling bin from my sanitation company. It sits neatly in the corner of my garage until trash day when I roll it to the street. I keep it clean so there is never any odor. Some of my neighbors spend a lot of money on landscaping and lighting, then leave the big green bin in front of their garage for all to see.

As long as I can keep mine in the garage, hidden from view, I'm a happy camper.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not sure decomposed granite is cheap or easy. Especially if done right. Then I don't want granite dust tracking all over.

Reply to
Vic Smith

so how does someone generate 75 lbs per week of yard waste?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Well, I don't live in the slums so we put the bins in the garage and only take them out on holidays, like garbage day.

Reply to
krw

Follow you around.

Reply to
krw

Now THAT'S an interesting suggestion. Don't raise the bridge, lower the riv er! I'll go out this weekend and see if I can't find an alternative locatio n for those garbage cans - at least the super-heavy yard-waste recycling on es. (It's truly impressive how much crap our gardeners can get into one can !) Thanks.

Reply to
vicandsue

Wet cut grass is heavy, and when they rake they pick up a lot of dirt so that goes in there too. Then they get 2 or 3 guys on top of the can where they hold hands and jump up and down to pack in even more stuff.

Yes I'm kidding. But I swear that's how it feels when they're done.

Reply to
vicandsue

Sometimes all it takes is a fresh pair of eyes.

Reply to
Lab Lover

that's called the Seattle Stomp...it was useful until they put "scales" on the pick-up arm and charged by weight

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds