Why CFC's Can't be used with Electronic Timers

Not a very informative response. Were you focusing on the "CFC" error, which has been fixed? Or were you actually commenting on timers vs dimmers?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes I *did* mean CFL not CFC. Guess it wasn't obvious...;)

Reply to
frank1492

CFLs will not work (or not work properly) with standard (hot wire only) X10 switches. You need to use ones that have both hot and neutral connections. If this is a wall switch, it requires both the correct switch (such as the XPS3) and a neutral wire in the switch box.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Some electtronic switching gets its operating voltage through the load. CFLs do not allow any current to pass through when they are off. I dont know about timers in particular but have had this problem with photo cells that switch lights on at sun down. I was thinking about installing a small resistor in paralell wih the lights to see if it will provide enough operating current for the photo cells. I havent tried this yet but I expect it may work. I have gotten this to work by replacing one of 4 lamps with an incandescent. YMMV

JImmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

As long as the timer is doing the switching with a relay and not a triac or thyristor or other means you are ok.

Reply to
RickH

I noticed that a number of reporters have been confused also.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

CFC's are banned.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

They work with X10 as long as you get the right switch. It has to be the one that can handle any loads, not just incandescent. As others have said, these have a relay inside that you can hear click on/off.

My Intermatics are old and all emit clicks indicating

Reply to
trader4

The manufacturer will state the possible applications with a wattage range. I am currently using an electronic timer for flourescent lighting. Avoid dimmers on flourescent lights.

Reply to
Phisherman