Why arn't light bulbs in the US like the ones in UK?

Neither one should be connected to ground. The socket should be connect to neutral.

And the only way that the socket body could be connect to hot is if either the lamp or the outlet are wired backwards.

Reply to
Bob Haar

sorry, wrong term, meant neutral

yes, exactly. I know how messy wiring can be (I'm redoing a whole floor in my house now and there are patches everywhere) and there's no guarantee it's wired the right way.

Reply to
j j

It's not the "getting loose" that bothers me although indeed I've had one where the sprung contact in the base was permanently pushed down and the bulb made an intermittent contact even when tightened as much as possible. It's the screw becoming welded into the socket that's the problem and it usually occurs with a rarely used light at the limit of the available ladder. The result is a broken bulb and sometimes cut fingers.

-- Patrick Riley

Reply to
Patrick Riley

Why are you touching any part of the socket or conductor on the bulb ? Hold the glass.

Reply to
Jimmy

*I* am not touching any part of the conductor, however, there's metal all around it and it's not hard to touch it. I'm just pointing out that it's not so out of the question.
Reply to
j j

OK, then you need these warnings too:

- Remove your fingers from the door jamb before closing the door - Don't stick your fingers in a moving fan - Keep your feet out from under the car when your wife backs out if the driveway

Reply to
Jimmy

who gives a flying f#ck about the UK.

Reply to
Chief

"HA HA Budys Here"

what happened to "Buddys Back"? next it will be "Buddy's still here"!

Reply to
Chief

Slipped a disc.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Who f*ckin cares? Probably slipped a disc or something.

  • Pass The X
Reply to
Imac Hunt