Furnace problem

My furnace has been behaving strangley lately. It starts up, runs for a minute or two and stops. A few seconds later it does it again. It does this 3-4 times before finally running until the selected temperature is reached.

I thought I'd ask for your opinion on what the problem might be before I get screwed by the nice furnace repairman who used to be a surgeon but quit because he wasn't making enough money!

Help?

Reply to
Dan

Tony Hwang
[snip]
[snip]

Mine became a plumber. Smiles all the time ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Yea , you need a bypass at 100000. $ but only a furnace call at a few hundred. , GO TO school Ass Hole . only a few years , or do it yourself and shut up. Idiot

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sure in theory, it works, but there is Alot more, Go to School or keep drinking as I do.......

Reply to
mark Ransley

YOU are the reason why we need these NG's...and THANK YOU for reminding us of that.....warmest regards...Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

I had a similar problem , the flame sensor indicator was dirty removed it wiped it off re-installed and it worked fine, that was then I have a new 2 stage furnace with a 16 seer heat pump. Its great!

Tom.

Reply to
tflfb

It's a York with a pilot light.

Reply to
Dan

I'm not an expert. Wouldn't doing something like this invalidate the warranty?

Reply to
Dan

No...as a matter of fact...IF you have an adjustable anticipator, its REQUIRED. All the anticipator is, is a small resistor that influences the thermostat to prevent temp overshooting.

Reply to
CBHvac

Ok....so its an older one....got a model number? IF you get that, I can pull up the sucker as I am a York dealer, and see if there were any particular issues with it.

Tell you now, what it sounds like, really, is one of the early units that used a pilot, had an integrated control board that controled the fan delay, and has the 115V polarity wrong....thats a classic symptom.

Reply to
CBHvac

Can you tell us: When it runs, does the fan come on? Do the burners really light? Has anything changed- perhaps a thermostat?

As some of the posters havee mentioned, this could be: A Flame sensor or limit switch.

If it were the limit switch, the fan would continue to run until the chamber cooled enough. If you are experiencing a problem where the burner is cycling several times (and you don't have one of those new super effeciency jobs) during the fan cycle, make sure of the following:

1) All of the return air vents are open unblocked 2) the air filter is clean

The guy that suggested messing with the limit switch- well I wouldn't recommend it. One of those settings has to do with making sure that the thing doesn't run until it melts.

This could also be the thermostat, but a little more unlikely unless it has been recently changed. Does this happen if the t-stat is turned all the way down?What kind of t-stat do you have?

If the flame sensor was bad, the burners should not light ( or should go out within 10-30 seconds).

Larry

Dan wrote in news:kjggqvgarl66q8bvobdbeeh4k854qij88m@

4ax.com:

Reply to