Why aren't toasters grounded?

The minimum was 2 splits - 4 circuits. -- actually just checked

1969 code and it just specifies 2 circuits dedicated to countertop appliance receptacles - at least one in each working area - no 2 adjacent outlets connected to the same branch circuit. Grounded polarized plugs were specified in 1969 code.

Looking at my 1966 code book I believe it is the last code that specifically called out specifications for knob and tube wiring, Grounding was required for all circuits, non-metallic sheathed cable, open wiring, or knob and tube in 1966. The kitchen requirements were the same in 1966

Reply to
Clare Snyder

One outlet per 12 linear feet or part thereof of wall space for general applications and minimum one per workspace in kitchen according to both 1966 and 1969 codes for Ontario. (I have copy of both from my dad who was an electrician)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's been added to significantly since with no more than 24" to nearest horizontally and every section of countertop 12" or more wide has to have one irrespective. Plus a bunch of other lesser details...

But nothing requires adjacent receptacles to be on different circuits; only again still the bare-bones minimum of 2 20-A small appliance circuits in counting small-appliance circuits. Major appliances have to have their own but that's independent of SA circuits.

That still seems an unreasonable requirement...you sure you're reading that right?

Reply to
dpb

Yes. Reminds me of the only toast I had as a kid. It was from Grandma's Toast-o-Later. Hadn't thought about that toaster in many years.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yup - read both 66 and 69. Has been changed now to requiring minimumof

2 countertop 20 amp circuits instead of 15 amp splits (30 amp capacity) Need more now too - don't have a current code book handy but your anything more than 12 inches sounds right.

The 20 amp outlets are "dedicated circuits" but no longer split - still cannot have 2 on the same circuit adjacent (since only 1 duplex on a circuit)

Microwave and fridge need to be on their own "dedicated" circuit as well. Getting to be pretty big panels - with kitchen sub-panels becoming pretty common.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Sometimes I give the old lady a fork or a prong.

Reply to
NigorMortis