Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?

The problem is most people who live where it can get quite cold in the winter will not open a window before taking a shower and leave it open for the 20 or so minutes required to vent most of the humidity. When we bought the place we live in now there was minor signs of surface mould on the ceiling where it meets the walls. The first thing I did was install a vent fan and vented it out under the soffit. We have been here 3 years and there is no signs of mould in the attic - I was up there last week installing a box for a roof fan... I prefer to vent warm air out the bathroom rather than freeze my assets off after a nice hot shower.

I still want to install vent fans in the other two bathrooms, but since they are not used as frequently I have not been in much of a hurry to complete the task.

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

bathroom fans are not for smell removal. the reason they are required is to remove shower and bath moisture.

S. Barker

our master bath has no fan, and we've never had ANY problems with the ceiling paint or texture. 24 years.

S. Barker

because the genius code pencil pusher engineer types say a bathroom has a fan period.

S. Barker

Hmmm, No window either? Maybe you live in a milder climate?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Airplanes toilet also suck air out of the bowl. However it is not continuous action; you have to push a button when you need the wind (or whatever) suck out of you.

Reply to
peter

eastern kansas. yes window. but never been opened.

S. Barker

Calm down. I don't think they're talking about those nuts.

RicodJour

Hot air rises. (i.e. 98.6 in a 70* room)

Reply to
p4o2

Reply to
GMDuggan

Yup... to scare the crap out of you req

Reply to
reqluq

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.

Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3"

- 6" duct *through* the top plate?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.

Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3"

- 6" duct *through* the top plate?

I think that kind of implies what the problem is -----

If you try to run the duct up inside the wall and "through" the top plate you effectively destroy the top plate?

Reply to
Doug Brown

I read the problem to be that it would be *harder* to run the vent through the top plate than to simply run it into the attic through the ceiling, like it would be harder to run a wire through the top plate than to run it through the ceiling.

I don't consider a complete severing of the top plate to be "through it".

I believe "through" implies that there is some material left surrounding the hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The reason the fan is there or required is for moisture not smells. It's called a "fart fan" as a joke. The moisture occurs from shower/bathing and usually rises because of the warmth. The codes usually specify a certain amount of "air changes" per hour for an exhaust fan.

Reply to
FatChance

How about you install one in your floor and see how that works.

Reply to
Stephen King

Is your smell thick enough to sink?

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn" wrote in news:4852e128$0$5717$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

what? is your smell thicker than the sink? heh

Reply to
Stephen King