whole house standby generator

Greetings,

I live in an area that suffers through frequent power outtages. In addition, both my husband and I work out of the house, so we are considering buying a whole house standby generator that runs on natural gas. I read a previous thread about this in this group (from last May).

Here're my questions:

  1. Does anyone have any familiarity with Caterpillar standby generators, specifically model #'s 25F3S and 45F3S?
  2. Do you know of any resources where I can check to see if the pricing I have been given is competitive (for a turn-key system). Neither my husband nor I have the skills to do any of the work ourselves.
  3. The bid includes a Zenith 200 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch which is weatherproof and to be installed on the outside wall near the electric meter. Do you have any experience with this switch?

Thank you in advance for your consultation.

Judith

Reply to
Dr. Judith Mazza

################## So how much was it? BG

Reply to
BillKirch

Pricing can vary with the geographical area. Get more than one bid. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Reply to
HeatMan

Try this link...

If there's a Home Depot near you, get an estimate from them. I remember seeing a nice auto-start unit that was very competitively priced.

Good luck

Reply to
Mark Mastrocinque