Who Makes The BEST Appliances?

Yeah, someone else suggested that the dryer probably has bad "rollers" on it, that is why the drum is leaning and rubbing up against the inside door of the dryer.

But the problem is, with all the small, sharp metal shards located everywhere inside the dryer drum, lint trap, etc, is it possible to get rid of them all?? I don't want to wear clothes that have thin, razorsharp pieces of metal in them!!!!

Also, is it really WORTH fixing a dryer that is 25 YEARS OLD?????

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

My whirlpool washing machine (was here when I moved in; 1994) did have a couple problems. Motor needed oiling. And laster, the timer would stick. Had to spray that with some kind of electrical cleaner, and relube it.

I'd not want a computer controlled one.

I vote Whirlpool for simple and the parts are inexpensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My parts house calls them "Generally Expensive". I've replaced enough refrigerator parts to know that GE parts are more expensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

About six years ago, GE had a run of bad circuit boards for their refrigerators. Circuit board in a refrigerator. Who came up with that nutty idea?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The dryers I've worked on. The drum rests on the front of the machine, there is a plastic strip that provides relatively low friction. Might be replacable, the plastic strip.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, boys, that changes everything. Everyone retype your replies.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anecdotal: Maytag and KitchenAid were acquired by Whirlpool Corp. and Magic Chef was the low-end of the Maytag acquisition.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Hey, they put TVs in them these days. Maybe the designers are just out of ideas and haven't realised that competing on quality might be worth a shot...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, you could take it apart and clean all of that out. My concern is that you'll find that to properly fix it you'll need some part that you can't either buy or make any more (although maybe such things as dryer junkyards exist that people can raid for spares?)

*If* it's working, does it do a good job of the things you need it to do? That's the important thing to ask yourself (and that a lot of people forget).

There's not much in an old dryer that can go wrong, and spares probably still exist for the common faults (things like thermostats, heating elements, motor brushes). Perhaps it's worth calling a few spares places to check that for sure - and if they can supply the parts when needed then you may as well spend some money fixing the fault you have; it'll still be far cheaper than a new dryer (and your current dryer is probably engineered to last far longer than a new one would be)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Mine has digital temp readouts with membrane switches to raise and lower the temp.

Do you suppose those readouts and the temperature controller where wired by having the components soldered freestanding like a 30's radio set? Not only was there a circuit board, but I bet there were even integrated circuits possibly surface mount!

Reply to
AZ Nomad

In a completely non-similar vein, I've wondered about something.

It's hard for the novice to tell an appliance brand just by looking at it - almost all refrigerators are taller than they are wide - and the manufacturer's logo is often quite discrete.

So, then, to impress your guests (or mother-in-law), why not replace the manufacturer's subtle logo with one from a junked VERY up-scale brand (LG?)?

You could even get an "Electrolux" logo from a defunct vacuum cleaner and slap it on your Sunbeam fridge (use Liquid Nails).

Reply to
HeyBub

Think magnet.

Only you can answer that.

Assuming:

  1. Clogged vent - cost to fix: 1. Clogged vent - cost to fix: $0.00 2. Bad support rollers - cost to fix: $10.00.00
  2. Bad support rollers - cost to fix: .00

Total out-of-pocket cost: $10.00

You be the judge.

Me? I'd at least find the magnitude of the repair before I sprang for several hundred bucks on a replacement.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. My dryer is an old Whirlpool, from the mid-seventies, and is at least

30 years old.

In the 10 years in which I have owned it, I have had *zero* problems with the unit, other than installing a new element in it when I took possesion of it (the faulty element was the reason it was no longer wanted by the previous owner).

When something else breaks on the unit, I will repair it. It is a well built unit, which performs its intended function flawlessly. The quality of the unit is a known factor, which is something missing in today's appliances, all of which, it seems, are marketed solely for the necessity of today's consumer to have things that look bright and shiny.

If you offered me a brand new bright and shiny unit in exchange for my old Whirlpool, I would decline your offer.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You surely aren't suggesting that a 21st century Whirlpool (or any othe brand) appliance will last as long as an 1940s one, are you?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Probably that information can even quickly and easily be acquired online. At least here in Germany, the German equivalent of Consumer Reports (called "Stiftung Warentest" here) makes their entire stock of current and past tests / reviews available online via their website. It's not free, but not really expensive either: Just search their website for, say, comparison tests of dryers, and for only 0.99 EUR you can download the whole review along with all tables, graphs and pictures in PDF format, just as it appeared in their printed magazine.

I would be surprised if Consumer Reports in the US wouldn't offer a similiar, convenient online service.

Greetings, Nils

Reply to
Nils Holland

maybe not the 1940's but certainly the 1960-1980s.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'd take that bet. I don't think anything made today for a reasonable price will last as long as quality but consumer-grade appliances made through the early 70's at least.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Certainly is NOT true of cars. In the 1960's and 1970's a car with

100,000 miles on it was noteworthy, and usually a rusted out wreck that needed constant tuneups and repairs. Today, you buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (the cheapest models) and EXPECT 200,000 if you just remember to change the oil,
Reply to
salty

100,000 miles on it was noteworthy, and usually a rusted out wreck that needed constant tuneups and repairs. Today, you buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (the cheapest models) and EXPECT 200,000 if you just remember to change the oil,

I have a 15 yr old Saturn...it has every original component except the generator, waterpump, and belt-tensioner (minus tires, brakes, battery, belt) never had to change any light bulb. About $300 in parts and my labor. Not bad for an American car. (and please don't tell me it's an Opel)

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

We replaced our contractor special with an Electrolux a year ago. We love the thing. It was laid out by someone with a brain, is almost totally silent, and cleans like a champ. We just bought an Electrolux 'fridge to go with it.

Reply to
krw