My 10 year old+ whirlpool washer went out the other day 3/4 the way through a load. would not drain and the main motor would not run.
Checked it out, and the motor did not have any power. looked at the schematic, and it appeared that the timer assembly was the problem. Priced a replacement at $110+ dollars. ouch! old washer not worth that much.
SO i took the timer off and bent the tabs that hold it together straight and took it apart (non repairable part). Figured out one of the contacts had overheated. Had nothing to lose, so i sanded down the contact on both sides and put it back together. Motor came back on, but it seemed something was still not right. Did not want to drain right. I then took the hoses off the pump only to discover a lump of fabric jamming the pump. a long nose pliers and some words eventually pulled the lump of crud out. Now it seemed to drain, but the pull switch on the timer was stuck on. Then i noticed another plastic part on the floor. (whoops, forgot one lever on the re assembly of the timer) Put it back together, and she is working. Who knows for how long, but i had little money to spend now and i kept it out of the scrap heap for awhile longer.
I theorize the fabric jammed in the pump caused the motor to draw too much current and overheated the switch contacts. Hope it last for a while...