Which screws to use for 2 x 4 construction?

uh, i've got boxes of different dry wall screws. some of them have fine threads, as fine as metal screws which would normally be used to go into a nut fastener.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Think you're right. my experience, too the wood failed first.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thanks for the URLs! I tend to agree with your 'formal' answer. In other words, use what is DESIGNED for use, not something that 'looks' like it will work.

Reply to
RobertMacy

It was just that 'sheetrock' screws still have to seat into wood. Have lots lying around. and previous experience suggests the wood fails first. However, that one reply about using 'construction' screws kind of has me convinced to look for those.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I always drive them down to flush, BUT! you're right that shaft is a bit anemic diameter. That one reply has me now looking for true 'construction' screws.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I believe (read as I don't know) one may have a slight edge over the other but I don't know for sure. All I know is I prefer the square drive screws. I also prefer brunettes but that's another story.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

new top to mantle of fireplace in Master Bedroom. getting rid of anemic structure, replacing with a Tuscany style sloped top with enough sturdiness to mount a big screen on swivel/tilt mounting plate. Right now the big screen weighs something like 15-20 pounds. amazingly light weight Vizio

just planning for future. as in do once.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thanks for the seconding. I missed that mention of McFeeley's as a 'separate' source, thought they were available at Lowwes or HD.

Snapped only one, on itself, good recommendation.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yeah, starting to agree, since so readily available.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Too bad Ford never heard of magnets

The Rockwell 3Rill has such a strong magnet that you can stick the phillips screw in and with one hand...

Reply to
RobertMacy

Torx, by a furlong. ...if you have the money.

Reply to
krw

Fine threaded drywall screws are for steel or hardwood (how many times to you anchor drywall to hardwood?). Use coarse threaded screws in studs. Don't use them at all for structural construction. Use the proper fastener for the job.

Reply to
krw

+1

Not surprising that that's the order of cost, too.

Reply to
krw

Thanks for the URL, After 15 minutes still nothing but 'pretty' images, but looks promising, so bookmarked for when the PC can sit on the page for awhile.

Sorry, use dialup so youtube is a major luxury. Shank Hole sound useful, too.

Reply to
RobertMacy

thanks, those look brutal!

Reply to
RobertMacy

Gordon Shumway

I got some. Need to bend it in a vise and test.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've never had an inspector gig me for using the larger deck screws to assemble joist frames so I don't think they would have an issue with using them on regular construction either.

Reply to
jamesgang

Proper "construction" screws have good strength. Deck screws and drywall screws are JUNK. My preference when building structure is to pop it together with good screws, then add nails for extra strength. If you put something together wrong - needs to come back apart, screws are much better than nails. When you know it's right, use the framing nailer to firm it up.

Reply to
clare

I would not use "deck" screws for framing. I used them for my ground level deck, but "construction screws" are much more suitable for framing etc. Not as hard and brittle, and higher strength.

Reply to
clare