Which is the best front load washer?

Hey,

I'm about to get my first front loader and am interested in reccomendations for th ebest buy. I'd like something that can stack a dryer on top but neither have to be huge as there wil only be 2 (poss 3) people in the house.

Thanks

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

Maybe Consumer Reports has some info.

-- Take out the trash to reply

Reply to
Ultraglide

They do, August 2003 issue. Most community libraries keep them.

Top rated was Kenmore Elite HE3t (42922).

Quick picks, which are their recommendations based on performance, reliability and value, were: Kenmore Elite HE3 (42822) and Whirlpool Duet GWH9100LQ.

Reply to
C G

I owned the Maytag Neptune for 6+ years before giving it to my parents and buying the Kenmore HE3T which is made by and is similar to the Whirlpool front loader.

The Neptune I had and my parents now have had mechanical controls. The new ones have electronic. We had no trouble with ours but some people say that the mechanical controls are better than electronic. Consmer Reports says the Maytag has a lousy repair record but that is probably because early ones had a mildew problem and Maytag offered a free repair even on 6 year old washers which consisted of new mildew reisitent seals, new circuit board to improve washing, new inner door to improve ventilation. So if everyone reported this free fix to COnsumer Reports as a problem, it is easy to see how the Neptune would look bad even though it isn't. Too bad all manufacturers don't stand behind their appliances like this.

On the other hand my brand new Kenmore HE3T had major problems and Sears finally gave up and replaced it. A stiffener was not installed properly, even new shock absorbers could not prevent unbelievable rattling, the base was either improperly welded or damaged in shipping and rattled itself apart, and the pump was defective. Just got a new one. It came with a little ding.... don't know if it came out of the box that way or if it happened during delivery. I told Sears about it for the record but it is minor enuf to forget about. Sometimes during the end of spinning it lets out a shriek. I don't know if it has a brake which is bad or something else wrong with it. So far I'm just waiting to see what happens with it next.

Ignoring reliability issues, the Kenmore is a bit bigger (which is why we bought it) and has a faster spin cycle then the Maytag and seems to tangle clothes less. However the door on the Kenmore/Whirlpool could have been designed better. It has already caught and ruined a comforter during the ultra fast spin and at least one other person at Eopninions.com has complained that the they have gotten holes in shirts from being caught in the area between the door and seal during fast spins. The inner door should have come down a bit further when they designed it.

If I were buying today I'm not sure which I would buy. If the shreiking Kenmore continues I will have another chance to decide.

Reply to
Art Begun

We've owned GE Front loader for a while. It cleans o.k. I don't like the controls. They seem a bit vague.

Daughter owns a Miele. She says it works flawlessly, is very quiet, saves wanter and detergent.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

I had 3 different appliances made by Maytag (washer/dryer/dishwasher... all bought brand new and "top of the line"), and they were all 3 lousy! You wouldn't catch me looking at another Maytag period... even if my life depended on it!

Reply to
tb

Consider the Euro brands: AEG, Bosch, Miele, Asko. Yes, they're pricey, but they've been making (nothing but?) front-loaders for ages. Front-loaders are newer to the North American brands and who knows if they're getting them right?

Most of the euros have smaller drums, which is not a problem for two people who sort their laundry. Other caveats: long cycle times and possibly the need for 240V 15A wiring, which will certainly mean a new circuit back to your panel (this may or may not be a DIY job depending on your circumstances). Some have the excellent ability to boost water temp to near boiling, which does wonders for white towels and bedding. Most brands offer matching stackable dryers.

10 yrs ago I owned an AEG front-loader and loved it, though the control knob broke after about a yr (it was push-in-to-start and the shaft pushed through the front of the knob). Fixed at no charge ("knobs aren't covered in the warranty but I've got one in the truck..."). Ask about warranty and service coverage (like spare parts stocking) in your area.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

My asko dishwasher broke 4 times in 6 years of ownership before I thru it in the trash so I would not be hot on any front loaded made by them.

Reply to
Art Begun

The best one is the one you didn't buy. >sigh<

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

If you will be stacking the I think that the Maytag Neptune is ideal. They have their "Super Stacker" that is that washer and dryer in one. Both full size, and the controls for both are nicely placed between the washer and dryer.

We looked at the others and did not like the idea of having the dryer controls all the way on top. My Mother-In-Law likes to do laundry, however this would be too much of a reach for her.

We bought the Maytag and have not had any trouble for about a year...

Reply to
Larry Davick