The last observable signs were Wednesday morning, i.e., gnaw marks on
the poison bait block and removal of peanut butter from the trap. No
carcass found under the oven or behind the fridge. No smell of
rotting carcass anywhere. So where's my little meecie?
Incidentally, I placed three of those rectangular-shaped poison blocks
in the (detached) garage yesterday, and today they are almost
round-shaped. Looks like there was quite a Thanksgiving feast. This
will hopefully prevent them from nesting in the tractors.
To sum up this experience, the blocks worked better than conventional
traps with peanut butter, electronic trap with peanut butter, or
poison pellets. He removed the peanut butter from conventional traps
on three occasions. He apparently got a jolt from the electronic trap
but it wasn't fatal and, notwithstanding the manufacturer's claims,
he was able to get out of it, leaving behind most of the peanut
butter. He didn't return to that trap. And he totally ignored the
paper bag of pellets.
Next time, the poison blocks will be the treatment of choice. Mary
:) Next time, the poison blocks will be the treatment of choice. Mary
Just remember to place them in out of the way areas for non target
animals. For the outside/barn placement put them in animal resistant
bait stations that help keep baits from spoiling and larger animals out.
If your original mouse wasn't nesting inside, it probably went back out
and expired, though just because one dies in a wall depending on the
ventilation you may not get an odor.
:) Are domestic cats attracted to this poison, chemical name
:) Hope not. M
If cats decide to eat bait blocks they usually are starving. A ten pound
animal would need to eat 8-16 blocks for them to consume enough for
there to be a concern, but I wouldn't want to chance it..you may have
the one cat that is super sensitive and have problems.
And the best thing about the poison pellets is that they're
totally indiscriminate. They'll provide tasty treats for
the neighbor kid's dog that accidentally got out of the
yard, and the cat wandering by (as will the poison-laden
mouse) as well.
:) And the best thing about the poison pellets is that they're
:) totally indiscriminate. They'll provide tasty treats for
:) the neighbor kid's dog that accidentally got out of the
:) yard, and the cat wandering by (as will the poison-laden
:) mouse) as well.
Treatment would be recommended if 5%-10% of the animals body weight had
been consumed, which for a 10 lb animal would be a half to one pound of
bait pellets or 22-44 mice that is completely eaten and had fed on
nothing but the rat bait for several days....cats are not know to eat
the bait matrix unless they are starving. Of course any outdoor
placements of bait should be in a tamper resistant station and probably
should be blocks that secure better in the stations.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.