Where can I find "Haddam Barn Red" paint?

Hi,

The current issue of Vermont Life has an article on efforts to preserve historic barns. It mentions a brand/color of paint: "Haddam Barn Red."

I've googled all the possible variations and the only "Haddam" reference is to a town in Connecticut. Has anyone heard of this brand? Any suggestion where I might look?

Thanks! SZ

Reply to
sz

It would seem that contacting the "Vermont Life" people on Monday (802-828-3241) would answer your question pretty quickly or at least give you some more solid information to go on.

Reply to
John McGaw

Haddam would be the color , deal with a quality paint , like Ben Moore, or Sherwin Williams. They can make any color you want and have products that will last, not like some off brand crap.

Reply to
mark Ransley

A good idea. So good, in fact, that we've already tried. We got some information on the author, an adjunct professor are Dartmouth, but can't seem to get a hold of him. I was hoping someone had heard of the paint brand.

Best, Sergej

Reply to
sz

How have you tried to contact him?

might give you some useful information for tracking him down. It seems strange to me that the magazine doesn't have information on a product that they are basically plugging -- they certainly aren't shy about pushing readers to every other vendor that they've mentioned...

Thinking back, I seem to remember that all the "original equipment" paint on really old barns would have been a milk paint concoction mixed locally. Ingredients are something like skim milk, hydrated lime, chalk, and mineral pigment but I don't know the proportions. I use a pre-formulated (just add water) milk paint for my old-style furniture because it is easier for me but it would be a very expensive way to obtain authenticity for something the size of a building.

Reply to
John McGaw